Connected on 2015-04-22 19:30:00
from McLean County, Illinois, United States
- 6:37 pm
- Bugscope Teampumping down
- Bugscope Teamvacuum is almost there
- Bugscope TeamHi Kelly!
- TeacherHey, Daddio.
- TeacherWe have only three lines of chat here, so we're not going to be able to write much.
- 6:44 pm
- Bugscope Teamare you using a cell phone?
- TeacherNo. We're on a projector, which is limiting the resolution. The image occupies about 80% of the screen, with only three/four lines of chat.
- 6:50 pm
- Bugscope Teamugh there are a lot of tiny wax rings on the critters, so far
- 6:58 pm
- Bugscope TeamHey daddio. They're doing an intro program at 7, then will start in here around 7:30.
- Bugscope TeamSounds great! It will give me time to navigate, find some cool stuff.
- Bugscope TeamYeah, keep at it. Kelly's talking with a PPT now, so the chat is hidden.
- 7:04 pm
- Bugscope Teamprecipitate?
- Bugscope TeamIf you're not part of the solution...
- Bugscope Teamyahoo dumb as a bag of hammers search engine
- Bugscope TeamWe did not find results for: thrips.
- Bugscope TeamBTW: TJ, Joe, etc., coming online tonight?
Bugscope Teamum I hope so
- Bugscope TeamWhat do you mean?
Bugscope TeamI typed thrips into yahoo search and it came up with nada
Bugscope Team??? search for "thrips": "668,000 results"
- 7:09 pm
- Bugscope TeamSuggestions: Check your spelling. Try more general words. Try different words that mean the same thing. Try asking a question on Yahoo Answers. For more helpful tips on searching, visit the Yahoo Search Help Center.
Bugscope TeamAhahahaha. Well, it works for me.
- Bugscope TeamWhatever you are looking at now is really cool.
- Bugscope Teamyeah the plants are totally winning out this evening
- Bugscope TeamHi Tobie, Hi Phyl!
- 7:15 pm
- Bugscope TeamHello, Tobie and Phyl! We're setting up for a presentation at Illinois State University this evening.
- Bugscope TeamWas Mark able to use those kidney bean leaves? Or was there not enough time for him.
Bugscope Teamsorry no he had his hands full with this stuff
Bugscope TeamNot a problem. I'm sorry I couldn't get it to you sooner.
- GuestHi Daniel. Watching with interest!
- Bugscope Teamactrua
- Bugscope Teamduh
- Bugscope Teamactual spiracle on thrips
- 7:21 pm
- Bugscope Teamplant spiracle
Bugscope TeamLooks like Jabba the Hut's eye. Chas kee nyowkee koo chooskoo, Han Solo.
- 7:30 pm
- Bugscope Teamsome good-looking critters but many not well preserved or covered with rings of wax
- Bugscope Teamthis is sad, I am sorry
Bugscope TeamYou mean what's on the screen now? What exuded the wax?
Bugscope TeamI believe they have a kind of waxy coating on their cuticle, and it comes off and rolls into little rings with like spring pressure
- 7:35 pm
- 7:40 pm
- Bugscope Teamthis is super nice, however
- Bugscope Teamwhat is this?
Bugscope Teamsome kind of fungus?
- Bugscope Teamit's a plant, or a tiny piece of a plant, with thrips on it
- Bugscope Teamthis is a trichome
- 7:46 pm
- Bugscope TeamJoe does this look like a larval thrips?
Bugscope Teamhmm can i see the left end?
- Bugscope Teamyea, that looks like a larval thrips
- Bugscope Teamthree sets of legs and if it has prolegs they will be on the other side
- TeacherDude, I'm switching browsers. THere are no mag buttons here.
- Bugscope Teambacteria
- Bugscope Teamyea the head looked thrips like, from the eyes
Bugscope Teamthe antennae looked like they broke off?
Bugscope Teamyeah I feel pretty bad; the plants came out far better than most of the mites and aphids and other critters
Bugscope Teamwell soft bodied critters are harder to prep right?
- TeacherWe are running now.
- Bugscope TeamDaniel-San you have control now, as Kelly?
- 7:51 pm
- Bugscope Teamthis is the tip of the abdomen of the thrips larva
- Bugscope Teamwe have seen these before; I think they are wax that peeled off of the plant and curled up
- Bugscope Teambut I am not sure it doesn't come off of insects or hexapods
- TeacherWhat is this?
Bugscope Teamit obscures many of the small insects/mites
- Bugscope Teamhere is a lower mag view of where we are
- Bugscope Teamthere is a mite or something along the ridge to the upper left but it is covered with debris when you get up close
- 7:57 pm
- Bugscope Teamwe could see an eye
- Teacherbroken antennae?
Bugscope Teamyea it's complete, but kinked near the base
- Teachermenacing mouth part?
Bugscope Teamthe mouthparts will be close to the body and on the other side, I think
- Bugscope Teamhuh i wonder what this guy is, maybe a mealy bug?
Bugscope Teamcould be -- there are some on here
Bugscope Teami'm going with mealy bug, those weird curls on its cuticle makes me think it's that
- Bugscope Teamthis is what stomates look like in some insects/hexapods
- 8:02 pm
- Bugscope Teamwow this is a really cool shot
Bugscope Teamit is...
- Bugscope Teamyeah we can see the other one now
- Bugscope Teamlooks like a civil defense placard
- Bugscope Teamthis is my favorite for the day, perhaps
- Bugscope Teamwe see tht it has three ocelli
- Bugscope Teamthat...
- Bugscope Teamplease anyone if you have questions let us know
- Bugscope TeamJoe is an entomologist.
- 8:07 pm
- Bugscope TeamI'm an electron microscopist.
- Teacherwhat are the knobs antennae?
Bugscope Teamin front? yes
Bugscope Teamthey're busted off
Bugscope Teamyea the antennae would be like 3-4x that length when not busted off
- Bugscope Teamthis is the mouth, obscured with juju
- Bugscope Teamoh no! the present is gone!
- Bugscope Teamthere was a circular element in the middle of the stomate
- Bugscope Teamor actually spherical
- Bugscope Teamoh you can kind of see the off set mouthparts here
Bugscope Teamneed your John Madden screen drawing device now
Bugscope Teamwell to describe it, the left mandible is much larger, and the right one is small, kind of like with the fiddler crab claws
- Bugscope Teamthis is cool
- Bugscope Teamgood driving!
- 8:12 pm
- Bugscope Teamthis is like an alien planet
- Teacherthey are telling us about the bedbug thing now.
- Teacheri'm never traveling again
- Bugscope Teamyou could go into business selling natural bedbug traps like that
- Bugscope Teamhaha Falstaff
- Teacherwhat's that?
- Bugscope TeamShakespearean aphid.
- Bugscope Teamit'
- Bugscope Teamlol
- Bugscope Teams a portly winged aphid
- Bugscope Teamhad a good life
- 8:17 pm
- Teacherhe didn't suck it in for the picture
- Bugscope Teamthe ocelli are widely spaced on the top of the head
- Bugscope Teamnow you can see the ocelli
- Teacherthe dark thing in the center?
Bugscope Teamum we can see one now adjacent to the compound eye
- Bugscope Teamit's a small dome like a spider eye
- Teacherprobably just a place for the bedbugs to hide
Bugscope Teamthey're related, sort of
- Bugscope TeamI think this is an egg.
- 8:23 pm
- Bugscope Teamwhere is the real Kelly? I want to know if the wax comes from the plants, like from the leaves.
- Bugscope Teamthis is sad
- Bugscope Teamit's a mite with antennae, maybe, or rabbit ears, but its cuticle is obscured
- Teacherim here now
- Bugscope TeamI'm not really sure what it is
- Teachersix legged mite?
Bugscope Teamlike a tick, before it gets 8 legs
- 8:28 pm
- Bugscope TeamI love that aphids get wings if the preceding generation was stressed by overpopulation
- Bugscope Teamit's Lamarckian.
- Bugscope Teamtime to get out of there!
Bugscope Teamhaha yeah
- TeacherWe're talking about pregnant aphids right now.
- Bugscope TeamKelly can we do this again? I want to try something different with the prep.
- 8:34 pm
- TeacherYou mean tonight?
- TeacherThis is Daniel, if you can't tell. Kelly is talking about poop now.
Bugscope Teamnormally that would be your domain
- 8:39 pm
- TeacherHmm. I can't reply in Chrome. I was going to make a smart-alec comment, but can't.
Bugscope Teamchrome plated frass
Bugscope Teamsince Alex L is not our main sysadmin anymore, we are working with more classical type of IT professional
Bugscope Teamvery cautious, untrusting, like they're not sure you know what you're talking about but sure it will cause some kind of security problem for the system
- TeacherTalking now...
- Bugscope Teamthrips wings
- 8:44 pm
- Bugscope Teamno problem. nice to see some plants instead of just insects.
- Bugscope Teamwhoa
Bugscope Teamlooks like Dick Cheney, smiling
- Bugscope Teamhahaha
- TeacherDick Cheney?? hahahaha
- Bugscope Teamwhat is this?
Bugscope Teamthey are very short wing covers, I think
Bugscope Teamlittle flaps positioned over the wing joint
- Bugscope Teamoh yea
- Bugscope Teamah is that broken off then?
Bugscope Teamand we're seeing the inside?
Bugscope Teamno there is a matching one on the other wing
Bugscope Teamsee? it is foreshortened
- Bugscope Teami wonder why the edge is like that
- Bugscope Teammuy interesante
- TeacherKelly says maybe in she'll want to do this again in the fall with Bradley University.
Bugscope Teamthat sounds great!
- TeacherWe're logging out now. Thanks, dude!
Bugscope TeamThank you!
- Bugscope Teamlater!
- Bugscope TeamI'm going to wipe everyone out pretty quickly so we don't orphan any admin names
- 8:49 pm
- Bugscope TeamBye!