Connected on 2012-11-26 15:00:00
from Lane, Oregon, United States
- 2:16 pm
- Bugscope Teamsample is pumping down
- 2:22 pm
- Bugscope TeamHello Rana
- Bugscope Teamwe are setting up for today's session
Bugscope Teamwhere are you?
- GuestJaipur in India
- Bugscope Teamwhat time is it there? it's about 2:25 in the afternoon here
- Guestit is 2 am ,night time
- 2:29 pm
- GuestI was lucky enough to get into the live session
- Bugscope Teamwow
- Bugscope Teamthe session starts at 3 our time, in 25 minutes or so; you are of course welcome to stay with us
- 2:35 pm
- GuestThanks Scot for the offer . am not sure if I will be staying awake till that time.
- Bugscope Teamcheck this out, Rana! it's an earwig, covered with mites
- GuestAbsolutely stunning.
- Bugscope TeamCate is doing the driving, and I am recording the presets.
- GuestWhere is it being done , by the way.
- Bugscope Teamwe are at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, USA, at the Beckman Institute.
- 2:40 pm
- GuestI have been to the University's site a number of time and always found something excellent to add to my knowledge base.
- Bugscope Teamhello Ms Degady and Josie
- GuestThis is amazing! I will recommend your program to teachers in our community.
- 2:45 pm
- GuestThe slides are soundless. Right!
Bugscope TeamMs D we are set up so that kids (students) can ask us any question they want. We do not create sound to go along with the presets. You can see that we are making the presets for today's session in real time, right now.
- GuestMakes sense Scot. Thanks
- Bugscope Teamnote that with Bugscope we are doing live imaging (of dead and dry samples) using a high-resolution scanning electron microscope. we don't reuse specimens because we do not want one school to collect the same images as another school
- Bugscope Teama leafhopper! this is cool
- 2:51 pm
- GuestI am reminded of my college Bio lab experience while studying entomology during my graduation in agriculture, way back in 1960.
Bugscope Teamtotally cool
- GuestScot, so teachers can send their students' samples in the mail, accross states?
Bugscope Teamyes they can!
- Bugscope Teamthe difficult part is that we can do only an average of two sessions per week
- Bugscope Teamit takes a little while to prep the sample, and then to do the presets, like we are doing now, and then to host the actual session
- Bugscope Teamand we share the microscope with researchers who generally have 24-hour access to it
- Bugscope Teamwe do our scheduling ahead of the researchers
- Guest Is there any record of these pictures where it could be retrieved lateron at a convenient time ?
- 2:57 pm
- Bugscope Teamyes they are archived on the web. you can look them up now. if you go to the home page and click on the archive, this session is #2012-072
- GuestThat's great. I am associated with a scool and it would be a thrilling experience for the senior students to watch these.
- 3:04 pm
- GuestActually the school timings do not match as there is a time difference of 12 hours
Bugscope Teamit means we have to get up early or work a bit late. we can do it with advance warning
- Bugscope TeamRana if you would like, you can drive now. It looks like our school is at a minimum late. They may have forgotten us. I called and left a message.
- 3:09 pm
- Bugscope Teamor Josie, would you like to drive?
- GuestThanks Scot.It was nice to be with you and share these scannings.I will be joining you soon in a day or two.
Bugscope Teamcool! we have a session in two days, I think
Bugscope Teamoh and it is a bit earlier
- 3:15 pm
- GuestScot, do you do this for insect samples only?
Bugscope Teamwe do mostly insects, hence the name bugscope, but we have also looked at pollen grains, mold spores, and other things that can be found on insects. Some school have sent in non bug items like fossils, a screw, and some pieces of shoelaces even as part of a unit on CSI
- Bugscope Teamgenerally anything that is dry can be used, preferably something interesting at higher magnifications
Bugscope Teamor things that can be dried
- 3:23 pm
- Bugscope Teamthat was Cate, speaking for me..
- Bugscope TeamJosie you have control of the microscope.
- Bugscope Teamif you want to drive
- Bugscope Teamit looks like our teacher forgot about us, so we have lots of time
- Bugscope Teambut we will log out if no one wants to drive the 'scope
- GuestThanks so much, Scot - Definitely, I will be recommending this wonderful program to our instructors here at Ohlone College and our high school teachers in our community. This is a good way to provoke excitement and enthusiasm for science..
Bugscope Teamthat sounds great! just please let them know that it can take a while to get on because we are booked far ahead
- GuestGreat! Have a nice day.
Bugscope Teamyou too, Thank You
- Bugscope TeamJDSK145 are you still there?
- 3:29 pm
- Bugscope Teamalright we are shutting down...
- Bugscope TeamThank You, everyone.