Connected on 2012-06-06 20:00:00
from Orange, California, United States
- 7:55 pm
- Bugscope Teamwe are making the presets for this evening's session
- 8:02 pm
- 8:07 pm
- 8:13 pm
- 8:18 pm
- 8:23 pm
- Bugscope Teamwe are ready to roll
- 8:30 pm
- Bugscope Teamhey DaddyO
- Bugscope TeamCate made the sample and mounted the scorpion so it is facing us. it
- Bugscope Teamwhoops
- Bugscope Teamit's the rampant position (in heraldry, at least)
- Bugscope Teamhello Isaac!
- Bugscope TeamWelcome to Bugscope!
- Bugscope TeamHello Everyone!
- 8:36 pm
- Bugscope TeamI know I can't type fast enough to get everyone's name now...
- Bugscope Teamthis, presently, is a view of a scorpion's claw
- Studenthi jovita
- Studenthi daudio
- Studenthow you doing
Bugscope Teamgood! Thank you!
- Studentwhoa dude
Bugscope TeamHello Jolie!
- Studenthello se,
- Studentwhat are you doing
Bugscope TeamSEM stands for scanning electron microscope, which is the machine I'm sitting at now. it's what allows us to see this stuff
- Studentjovita what do you think it is
- Studentoo thank you
- Studentles change
- Studentoo thank u
- Studentare those spikes on the claw
Bugscope Teamyeah little spikes or spines that help the scorpion sense when it is touching something
- Studentthats o awesome
- Studentthis is amazing
- Studenti mean so
- Studentcan i zoom on the scorpion stinger
Bugscope TeamMr Papake is driving right now, so he can do it -- it is of course one of the presets
- Studentyou are sooo smart :D
- Bugscope Teamoops Mr Papke sorry for typo!
- 8:41 pm
- Studenti see a bug
- Studentthis is cool
- Bugscope Teaminsects and arthropods like scorpions have exoskeletons, so it's like they have an armor shell
- StudentI want see more
- Studentwhat kind of scorpion is this?
Bugscope Teamit's a small one I didn't realize we had, not sure
- Studentthats ugly
- Studentthat is preety interesting
- Studentit looks so weird up front
Bugscope Teamhaha I agree!
- Studentlady bug look so weird up close
Bugscope Teamthey do! wait 'til you see the ladybug larva
- Studentwhats in between those to claws
Bugscope Teama lot of debris
- Bugscope Teamthis is a super tiny ant
- StudentROUND THINGS
- Studentwhat is that?
- StudentWATS THAT
Bugscope Teamit's the ant's compound eye
- Studentthay have lots of tiny little hairs
- Studenthow do ants see with all those dots in their eyes
- StudentIs it true that male lady bug don't have dots ?
Bugscope Teamno, they do
- Studentso weird
- Studentits an ant eye isnt it
Bugscope Teamyes it is!
- Studentthay have so many eyes
Bugscope Teamwasps can have as many as 17,000 facets to a single compound eye
- Studentcan i see the beetle face
Bugscope TeamI think Mr Papke will certainly get to it.
- Studentis this a girl of a dude
Bugscope Teamit's a girl
- Studenthow do you know its a girl
- 8:46 pm
- Studenthow can you tell the difference between a female and a male?
- Studentit's hairy
- Bugscope Teamthis is the ant mouth
- Guesthi its me
Bugscope TeamHi Chelsea!
- Guestit looks weird
- Studentwhy are microscope so expensive???
Bugscope Teamthey are super complicated. like this one has its own room, its own electricity, air, etc.
- Studentwhich insects stinger is this?
- Studentwhere is the stinger from
- Studenty do many of these insects have so many hairs
Bugscope Teamthe hairs, which we are supposed to call 'setae,' are sensory -- they help the insect or arthropod sense its surroundings
- Studenti see
- Studentcan it hurt you
Bugscope Teamthese can
- Studenthow come insects are poisonous but human can't have stingers
Bugscope Teamwe have other advantages, I'd say
- Studentis this a poisonous scorpion
Bugscope Teamyes it is
- Studentcan you plug that hole up?
Bugscope TeamI suppose. It is very small
- Studentit looks so pointy
Bugscope Teamnow we can see that it's a bit broken
- Studentwere does the poison come from
Bugscope Teamfurther down is the body of the stinger with a poison gland in it
- Studentwhy does it have a hole
Bugscope Teamso it can inject poison/venom
- StudentWhat is this?
- Studentwhere is it attached to
- 8:51 pm
- Studentwhy do misquotes suck on our blood
Bugscope Teamonly the females do, and it is so they can get enough protein to successfully lay their eggs
- Studentwhat r those flappy things
Bugscope Teamthose were scales, which are in a way like feathers
- Studentis there certain food that 's make them more toxic?
- Guestit looks wierd
- Studenthow do they prevent the blood from clogging?
Bugscope Teamthey inject saliva, which also makes us itch, but keeps the blood from clotting. good question, Isaac.
- Studentis it really that long
- Guestcan you zoom in on the wasp head
- Studenthow much blood can a mosquito take from you?
Bugscope TeamI'm not sure; less than a milliliter, which is a cubic centimeter.
- Studenthow much blood can a mosquito take form u
- Studentwhy do bugs and insects need antenna for?
Bugscope Teamthe antenna have a lot of receptors for, escpecially, chemical scents
- Studentit looks like a jaw of an animal
- Studentwhat kind of stinger is it?
Bugscope Teamthe stinger on a mosquito is inside this tube, and it has four cutting stylets we cannot see now
- Studentis there like an opening
Bugscope Teamalong the side and at the tip
- Studentwasp head
- Studenthow long do they live?
Bugscope Teama few days to a few weeks, generally
- Studentwhat was the first insect or bug ever discovered by a human
Bugscope Teamcertainly before we had invented writing
- Studentits scary
- Studenthe got beat up
Bugscope Teamyeah for sure -- I'm sorry it is in such bad shape
- StudentIs the big round thing the eye?
Bugscope Teamthat is the base of an antenna, called a pedicel
- Bugscope Teamsorry 'especially'
- 8:56 pm
- StudentY IS IT SO WRINKLY
- Studentarent ladybugs round
- Studentwhy do insects look more larger than in real life
- Studentthats a very ugly baby
- Studentmany of these insects have so much hair
- Guestis it dead?
Bugscope Teamyes it is; it is dead and also very dry
- Studentwhy is it dead
- Studenthow much eggs can a lady bug produce?
Bugscope TeamI have read that the total is over a 1000
- Studentthat is a lot of eggs that it can produce!!!
- Studentis it a baby wasp
Bugscope Teamit's a pretty good sized one
- Studentare all of these animal dead
- Guestit looks crushed
Bugscope TeamI think it's fairly intact but just looks like that.
- Studentthey die when they sting you
- Studentwhen wasp sting do they die
Bugscope Teamno they just keep stinging because they don't lose their stingers like honeybees do
- Studentwhy do the wasp sting?
Bugscope Teamto protect its hive or its territory, or if it feels threatened
- Studentthank u, have a great day...
Bugscope TeamThanks, Jolie!
- StudentWHY DOES IT LOOK SO UGLY
Bugscope Teamum I am not sure; some of them don't look so bad once you get used to them
- Studentthanks it was great
Bugscope TeamThank You, Isaac!
- Studentis its mouth broken
Bugscope Teamno, but sometimes we see that the mandibles are chipped
- 9:01 pm
- TeacherOne session down ... one to go!
Bugscope Teamgood students
- Studentthank you for the compliment
Bugscope TeamHi Nick!
- Bugscope Teamwelcome to Bugscope!
- Bugscope TeamI changed my login name...
- Bugscope TeamBut I am still sitting at the scanning electron microscope, which gives us these images
- Studentthank you for this awesome thing
Bugscope TeamDude it is so much fun to be able to do this.
- Studentoh i was HI but then i changed my login name also
Bugscope Teamhaha Nice trick
- Bugscope Teamif we look at the stinger, up close like this, we see that it has pores in it
- 9:06 pm
- Studentcan this venom kill you
Bugscope TeamI understand that smaller scorpions can be the worst, but I don't know about this one
- Studentare these animal's alive? and where do you get them?
- Studentdid you guys kill the scorpion
Bugscope Teamthey are all dead, and they are dry. people send them to us, and we also collect them from our homes, etc. someone from another lab brought me a daddylonglegs this evening
- Studentwhat are the pores for
Bugscope TeamI am not sure whether they have venom that oozes from them, or not; I really don't know
- Studentare scorpion claws really that hairy?
Bugscope Teamyes the hairs are often called setae in insects or arthropods like scorpions, and the setae are sensory -- they help the 'bug' sense its surroundings
- Studentwhy do the eyes have so many round things
- Studenthow many eyes do ants have
Bugscope Teamthey have two compound eyes (some ants do not have eyes) and the number of facets (ommatidia) varies with species and size
- Studenthow many lenses do an ants eye have, in average?
Bugscope TeamI would say fewer than 100 is a good average from what I have seen
- Studentwhat is that thing coming out of the eye
Bugscope Teamsorry I missed it Dude
- 9:11 pm
- Studentis it one dimention
Bugscope Teamnot sure what you mean -- the things we are looking at are 3 dimensional, of course
- Studentdo mosquitos carry many diseases? and which?
Bugscope TeamWest Nile virus, Yellow Fever, Malaria...
- Studenthow do the mosquitos suck the blood from that tube
Bugscope Teaminside the tube are much sharper stylets that actually come out of the tube to pierce your skin
- Studentwhat do scorpions eat?
Bugscope Teamthey eat mostly insects, I think, and they chew their food, which is a little different
- Studenthow old is the lady bug
- Studentcan these animals see in color?
Bugscope Teamsome can, some cannot; some see certain colors better than others; also, some insects can see ultraviolet wavelengths of light, which we cannot
- Studentwhere do ladybugs lay their eggs?
Bugscope Teamum I think on leaves, have to look it up..'
- Studentwhat are those little hairlike looking things on the wasp antenna
- Studentwhere are a ladybugs eyes?
- Bugscope TeamI see that they do lay their eggs on leaves, and probably other places as well
- Studentthis lady bug is beat up and dirty
Bugscope Teamyeah it is
- Studentare the hornes the antenas
Bugscope Teamthose are palps, of which there are two types -- palps are accessory mouthparts
- 9:16 pm
- Studenthow and what do they eat?
Bugscope Teamthey eat aphids, which are also on the stub this evening, and they bite them with those skinny little mandibles
- Studenti learned it from you:)
- Studentdo ladybugs even have eyes
Bugscope Teamyes they do -- they are kind of streamlined into the head on either end. I am sorry we cannot see them well. Actually I could drive you to see part of one eye.
- Studenthow do scorpions are born?
- Studentthat would be cool
- Studentwhy do lady bugs give out yellow liquids
Bugscope Teamthey produce a super smelly liquid that is intended to dissuade other insect, birds, etc. from eating them
- Studentdoes it have various hearts or just one
Bugscope TeamThey have what we would consider a primitive heart, and I am not sure right now if they have more than one or not
- Studentwhen a wasp uses its stinger, does it die?
Bugscope Teamno it can sting repeatedly, although it does not always have the same amount of venom
- Studentohhhh! cool!
- Studentdo wasps have teeth
Bugscope Teamthey have mandibles that are hardened, with what look like tines of a fork, or spork, but they do not have real teeth
- Studentthese insects have cool stradegy they use to survive
- Studentdoes the wasp have faceted eyes?
Bugscope Teamyes it does -- the facets are called ommatidia. they also have three ocelli, which are simple eyes
- 9:22 pm
- Studentwhat is this
- Studentreally, how much did the one you barely showed us have
Bugscope Teamprobably 50 microliters, but I am not really sure, Angel
- Studentwhat is it made of?
- Studentwhat's alphabet city?
Bugscope Teamit's 'cause those salt crystals look like blocks to me
- Studentwhy are they in cubes
Bugscope Teamsodium chloride -- table salt -- forms cubes
- Bugscope Teamthis is salt from Wendy's restaurant, and it has those totally cool incised patterns. oops not now....
- Bugscope Teamthis is an aphid, which is a plant pest -- you see them infesting leaves, and we're looking at the mouthparts they stick into the leaves to drink the sap/fluids
- 9:27 pm
- Studentwhats an aphid stylit
Bugscope Teamthe stylet is the sharp part that sticks into the plant
- Studentwhat is that?
- Studentwhat type of a beetle is this?
Bugscope TeamI am not sure what that beetle was. It may have been a cerambycid beetle -- a longhorned beetle
- Studenthow many pincers does an ant have? and are there any venomous ants?
Bugscope Teamthey have two mandibles, and sometimes they are quite venomous; some have stingers
- Studenthow many eyes do scorpians have
Bugscope Teamwe could see six, but there are at least two more in the middle of the head where we cannot see this evening
- Bugscope Teamthese are a few ommatidia on the wasp's compound eye
- Studentcan wasp eyes really get that dirty
Bugscope Teamyes and worse, but this one is dead so some of this likely happened after it died
- Bugscope Teamstargazer lily pollen
- Studentis that pollen
- 9:32 pm
- Bugscope Teamthis is on the ladybug, but it's likely we dropped it on their when we made the sample today; Cate made the sample and I am sorry she could not be here tonight.
- Studentthis is really cool!
- Studenti think this is fun.
Bugscope Teamyes totally cool
- Studentis that pollen
Bugscope Teamyes it is; pollen takes lots of different shapes
- Studentthank you!
Bugscope TeamThank You, Kiki
- Studentsay thank you to cate for me please
Bugscope TeamCool I will.
- Studentand thank you Mr. ScottJ
Bugscope TeamThanks, Angel!
- TeacherScott, looks like they had a few good questions... are your fingers tired from typing so fast?
Bugscope Teamno problem DaddyO, I am used to it
- TeacherEveryone is taking off. the "science night" is coming to an end.
- TeacherThanks again for a fun night. The kids really liked it
- Studentone more thing, how do you type so fast
Bugscope TeamI get a lot of practice but really am not very fast. Cate would laugh.
- Studenthaha bye.
- Bugscope TeamThank You, Everyone!
- Bugscope TeamBye, Angel.
- Studentthank you for leting us learn
Bugscope Teamhey Thank You, Xochitl.
- TeacherThanks ... logging off ...
- Teacheryou guys are awesome!!!
- Bugscope TeamDude I forgot to say that scorpions bear their young live....
- Bugscope TeamThank you.