Connected on 2020-10-01 14:00:00
from , ,
- 1:15 pm
- Bugscope Teamsetting up presets
- Bugscope Teamsad haltere
- 1:21 pm
- 1:27 pm
- 1:32 pm
- 1:38 pm
- Bugscope TeamHello Ana!
- Bugscope TeamHello Morgan!
- 1:44 pm
- GuestHello! This is Ana from UConn - the instructor
- Bugscope Teamso we can select who has control at any time. Currently, Morgan has control
- 1:50 pm
- GuestHello, I have to log out for a moment. I will be right back.
- TeacherHello, I am back.
- TeacherHello Morgan and Scott
- Bugscope TeamSo the presets are on the lefthand screen
- Bugscope TeamI'm sorry many of the samples are old
- Teacherawesome images
- TeacherI see. do you want me to go there now?
Bugscope TeamIf you want to; I think we've given you control.
- Bugscope TeamBugscope is still shakey, with the new software
- Teacherok. I will try with the first tick image
- Bugscope TeamThe microscope is fantastic, but the software for this microscope has been very difficult to set up.
- Bugscope Team(the Bugscope software)
- 1:55 pm
- Bugscope TeamHere we see the dorsal side of a six-legged tick
- Bugscope Teamso a baby tick
- Teacherwow big change... short lag time. is the focus autofocus?
Bugscope TeamCate or Teppie are in the 'scope room and likely are tweaking the focus for you.
- Bugscope Teamhi maussi
- TeacherThank you!
- Bugscope Teamwhen we run Bugscope we set up at a longer working distance than you would if you were looking at specific arthropod parts
- TeacherHello UConn students!
- Bugscope Teamso you're not going to get killer resolution at a long working distance
- Bugscope Teamsorry i changed the view away
- TeacherWe have to thank the Bugscope team for handling the behind the scenes work.
- TeacherI have control now of the images and we will wait for more of you to join us.
Bugscope TeamPlease feel free to drive around, change the mag, change the focus
- TeacherWe are currently viewing tick mouthparts.
Bugscope TeamHello Maussi!
- 2:00 pm
- TeacherYou can join the blackboard collaborate for verbal communication.
- Bugscope Teamwhen a tick 'bites' its palps fold down out of the way
- Bugscope Teamplease let us know if you have questions or problems
- TeacherI was telling them how I will monitor this chat. They will be communicating with me verbally as well.
- Bugscope Teamour new Bugscope software is a shakey, as I had said earlier
- TeacherHello Julie!
- Bugscope Teamnow you can see how small, maybe, the juvenile ticks are
- TeacherI want to thank all in your team for hosting us today. We are ready to start.
- Bugscope Teamwe have to pick them up with fine brushes dipped in ethanol
- 2:06 pm
- TeacherWe wills start with the bumble bee head.
- Bugscope Teambad hair day
- Bugscope Teamnot to mention only one partial antenna
- Teacheryes! I am zooming in to the compound eye
- TeacherI think I moved to much to the side
- Bugscope Teamwe can move it for you
- TeacherThank you.
- Bugscope Teamommatida
- 2:11 pm
- Teacheryes thank you.
- TeacherI am describing some of this verbally online
- TeacherI am going to zoom out to he mouthparts
- TeacherHello, I am quiet typing because I am talking to the students. Thank for moving the image
- Bugscope Teammandibles and labrum
- 2:16 pm
- TeacherThank you.
- TeacherI wll move to the wasp face now.
- TeacherYou can see the mandibles
- Bugscope Teamwasp made it through the beginning of the pandemic in the lab but got dusty, so we sonicated it in ethanol
- Teacherlets see if we can get closer
- 2:21 pm
- Guestare the little indentations between the eyes ocelli?
Bugscope Teamthe ocelli will be on the top of the head behind the bases of the antenna. not sure we can see them right now
Bugscope Teamthe indentations we see have a cool name I cannot recall; they're like sprues that support the inside of the exoskeleton
- Teacherthe indentations that project inward
Bugscope TeamCool! Thank you!
- TeacherI am actually zoomin out to move more easy
- 2:27 pm
- Teachermoving to the thoracic spiracle
- Bugscope Teamlet us know if we can do anything that will help, as the controls are goofy today
- Bugscope TeamI was thinking of a tentorium. Maybe it is a little different because it has a pit on the outer surface of the head.\
- Teacherto what insect does this spiracle belong to?
Bugscope TeamIt is a house fly
- Teacheryes the tentorial pits - that is more correct description
- Bugscope Teamthis is a housefly
- 2:33 pm
- Teacherwe will go to the fly ocellus.
- TeacherI will zoom in
- TeacherI thik we were looking at the microscope stage
Bugscope Teamyes just a minute ago you got a quick view of the stage -- I was trying to find this little fly
- Bugscope Teamthis is doublestick carbon tape; now we see two sample holders; now we're on the tiny fly head
- Teacherthank you .. I think I zoomed in way too much
Bugscope TeamAna you are doing a good job but the software is kind of wigging out
- 2:39 pm
- TeacherWe are done with the ocellus. thank you
Bugscope Teamlet us know if we can help you get somewhere else
- TeacherI will move on to the black beetle head
- Bugscope Teamone of the tick arms shows a slit where the Haller's Organ is -- we cannot see inside on that one
- Teacheryes thank you. I have selected to move to the black beetle head
- TeacherI will move on to the decapitated beetle
- 2:45 pm
- TeacherI hope this works with your microcope set up
- Teacherthank you for resetting it. I will try to magnify to zoom in close to the antenna
- 2:52 pm
- Teacherwe are zooming in on the setae found on the antenna
Bugscope TeamOh man, that looks cool!
- TeacherWe will be wrapping the session soon.
Bugscope TeamNo worries...
- 2:57 pm
- TeacherWe will finish up by looking at the tick mouthparts
- Bugscope Teamthe field beneath the head of the beetle looks different because it is covered with colloidal silver paint. Outside of that you see the carbon doublestick tape
- StudentThank you !
- GuestThank you Bugscope!
- TeacherThank you so much, BugScope Team!
- GuestThank you bugscope!
- GuestReally cool, thank you!
- GuestThank you bugscope!
- GuestThank you!
- GuestThank you, this was awesome to see!
- GuestThank you!! so cool
- Bugscope TeamThank you, Everyone. We have to apologize for the constant glitches; we're slowly work things out.
- TeacherI was chatting with the students online and it worked very well. I thnk it was great
- Teacherand I appreciate your help with moving about the image. I realize it is a complex process.
- 3:02 pm
- TeacherThank you Scott and Teppie for hosting us
Bugscope TeamAny time!.
- TeacherI will be loggin out now and I will submit the feedback as requested.