Connected on 2012-10-10 13:00:00
from Johnson, Kansas, United States
- 11:45 am
- Bugscope Teamstarting to make presets for today's session in just a minute
- 11:51 am
- 11:58 am
- Bugscope Teammaking presets...
- 12:04 pm
- 12:10 pm
- 12:15 pm
- 12:35 pm
- 12:41 pm
- 12:46 pm
- 12:51 pm
- Bugscope Teamwe are done with presets, ready to roll!
- Bugscope Teamready to roll
- 1:11 pm
- 1:19 pm
- 1:26 pm
- 1:32 pm
- Bugscope Teamthank you for calling, Vanessa!
- Bugscope Teamso if you take the mag lower now you can see where you are...
- Bugscope Teamthis is a single wing scale from a butterfly
- Bugscope Teamand this is the moth
- Bugscope Teamyou can see its antennae, its compound eyes...
- GuestThis so coo1!!
Bugscope Teamit is the most fun thing we do during the week
- GuestAre those his eye?
Bugscope Teamyes they are!
- Bugscope Teamyou can actually send a link to this transcript to the teachers if you want
- Bugscope Teamhttps://bugscope.beckman.illinois.edu/members/2011-156
- GuestThis would make so many future scientists! Very exciting stuff!
- GuestThanks so much for your time!
- Bugscope Teamalthough it will be for Holy Trinity School in Kansas City
- Bugscope TeamYou bet. Thanks, Vanessa
- Bugscope TeamI'
- Bugscope Teamoops
- 1:38 pm
- Bugscope Teamthese are called crochets
- Bugscope Teamthe little hooks caterpillars use to help cling to leaves
- GuestI am showing all the guys at work - tv production people
- Bugscope Teamawesome
- Bugscope Teamif someone wants to drive, no problem
- Bugscope Teamwe started this in the beginning of 1999 and have done 650 to 700 sessions, all over the world
- Bugscope Teambut mostly in the U.S.
- Bugscope Teamyou
- Bugscope Teamare driving a $600,000 scanning electron microscope
- Bugscope Teamin the basement of the Beckman Institute at the U of Illinois, in the serious middle of nowhere
- Bugscope Teamwhen we use the microscope for Bugscope we work at a longer distance from the sample than we would for normal research
- Bugscope Teamthat is so we have the ability to take the mag fairly low as well as high -- so the students can see more of the sample at one time at low mag
- GuestHow long are the sessions? One hour?
Bugscope Teamsometimes there will be three classes at 20 minutes, each, sometimes one for 45 min or so
- GuestHow many people work on this project?
Bugscope Teamsometimes, like today, it's just me. Cate is on vacation, and we have grad student entomologists who get on when they have time
- 1:43 pm
- Bugscope Teamso I am Scot and SEM and sj
- Bugscope Teamit's good to have Cate on because she's a good role model
- GuestI am logging off but this is so motivating!
Bugscope Teamtotally cool --Thank You
- Bugscope TeamI'm logging off as well....
- Bugscope Teamover and out...