Connected on 2010-12-15 12:15:00
from , IL, US
- 11:20 am
- Bugscope Teamgood morning!
- Bugscope Teamwelcome to Bugscope!
- Bugscope Teamwe are setting up now
- TeacherHi, just checking in to make sure password works and such
Bugscope Teamtotally cool
- TeacherThanks...I have a few questions...
Bugscope Teamno problem
- TeacherI see I have demag now...did everything go okay when fixing?
Bugscope Teamwe solved all of the immediate problems, I think
- Bugscope Teamwe have a more ambitious agenda but those changes will have to wait
- TeacherGreat! Also, my students will need the password to log in, correct?
Bugscope Teamthe system should recognize the IP address of your area, and the students will not need the password
- Bugscope Teamalso, there should be a Student option when they log in
- TeacherOk, when they log in, will they be prompted to select a nickname?
- TeacherThese images look great
Bugscope Teamcool! Cate is doing all the setup right now
- 11:26 am
- TeacherAny last minute advice I should tell my students about before hand?
Bugscope Teamum do you want us to confer control to them, or do you want to maintain control of the 'scope?
- Bugscope Teamwe have the ability to give each student control, one at a time
- TeacherI would like them to be able to control for short periods of time...I have 13 students, do you suggest I put them into pairs or do we have enough time to do each individually? I have 45 minutes in class
Bugscope Teamit might be less chaotic to have them in pairs
- TeacherOk, will do, I will have one by herself since the odd number, she will be okay with that
- TeacherI see we have other images besides our samples...will the samples be labeled so the kids know which are ours?
Bugscope TeamCate can do that -- she is saving your samples for last so they show up sooner.
- 11:33 am
- TeacherI cant think of anything else I need them to know before hand...
- TeacherAnything else you need before I sign off?
Bugscope Teamno I think we are fine
- Teachergreat, see you in a bit
- 11:38 am
- 11:44 am
- 11:50 am
- Bugscope TeamWe are ready to roll.
- Bugscope Teamthe spider, the ant, the ladybug, and the fly (the housefly) came from Donovan
- 11:56 am
- Bugscope Teamthis right now is the head of the owlet moth
- 12:04 pm
- 12:09 pm
- 12:14 pm
- Bugscope Teamhello Abby/Hannah!
- Bugscope TeamWelcome to Bugscope!
- Bugscope Teamlet us know when you have questions, and let us know if you would like to drive the 'scope
- Bugscope Teamthis is the head of the owlet moth
- Bugscope Teamhello Kaleb/Jessica and Andrew/Clayton!
- Bugscope Teamhello Everyone!
- Studenthey yo
- Bugscope Teamhey there
Bugscope TeamHeyy LL!
- Studenthow are you doing
- Studentgreat meeeee tooo
- Studentwhat are we lookin at?
- Studentwait. whos ll?
- Studentthis is soooo cool
- TeacherHello Scot, who are you giving control to first?
Bugscope TeamAbby/Hannah have it now
- Studentsooo uhh what are we looking at?
Bugscope Teamthis is the head of an owlet moth
- 12:20 pm
- Bugscope TeamAbby and Hannah you should see controls for the 'scope now at the top of the viewing screen. Also, if you click on one of the presets, the 'scope will drive to that place
- Studentwhat's an owlet?
- Teacherthe girls do not have controls yet scot, are you loading?
Bugscope Teamokay I just gave control to Holly
- Bugscope TeamHolly can you see controls, or can you click on one of the presets and make it move?
- Studentwhat kind of spider is this?
Bugscope Teamthe spider you sent is on here, but we are on the moth. The spider we aren't sure what type it is , we were never good at identifying them unless they had some big markers on them like a black widow
- Studenti like bugs(:
- Studenthow do we know if we have control?
Bugscope Teamlet Holly try it now...
Bugscope Teamyou will see a simple set of controls on top of the viewing window
- Bugscope TeamCool!
- Bugscope TeamHolly is now the Supreme Ruler
- Bugscope Teamthis is the eye of the housefly you sent
- Studentwhy holly dude?
- Bugscope Teamthe compound eye, and all of the round things are individual facets called ommatidia
- Teacherok, we seem to have good control now, holly, move this around, demag, whatever
- Studentits a fish!!!!! hahaha im just joshing
Bugscope Teamyeah like fish scales
- Studentmuaha! I feel powerful! what's that on the screen?
Bugscope Teamsome juju on the fly's compound eye
- Studentwhat is juju?
- 12:25 pm
- StudentIs that debris on the eye?
Bugscope Teamha yes
- Studentthats weird
- Studenthey CLAYTON ima get me some fish eyes to look at
- StudentHiiiiii Holly :D
- Studentok, but why call it juju?
- Studentwhats the line on the eye?
Bugscope Teamoops sorry it's gone
- StudentHi MaryBeth and Css
- Bugscope Teamsee the pollen grains?
- Bugscope Teamthe little round dudes?
- Bugscope Teamthey're spikey
- Studentoh pollen cool
- Studentwhats the furry stuff on the bottom
Bugscope Teamthose are tenent setae -- they're sticky hairs that let the fly cling to surfaces
- Teacherwas this our sample?
- Bugscope Teamthe fly (housefly), the ant, the spider, and the ladybug
- Teacherwho brought this in guys?
- Studentwhats the little hole in it0
Bugscope Teamthat is where one of the bristle-like setae busted off and fell out
- Studentis there a difference between bug hair and human hair?
Bugscope Teamyes. bug hair is called setae, and it is often sensory
- Studentthats different
- Studentuhh definetely not me.. i didnt bring it in. and i bet spiderman has some tenent setae(;
- Teacherscot, is there anyway we can give someone else control now?
Bugscope Teamwe can
- StudentWhat to look at next?
- Bugscope Teaminsects have an exoskeleton, which is like wearing armor, and the setae stick through
- 12:30 pm
- Studentthats weird
- Bugscope Teamyou can choose any one of the presets
- Bugscope Teamplease let us know who would like to drive next
- Teacherholly do you still see controls?
- Teacherwho wants to go?
- Studenti doo
- Teacherok, Laura and Linzie
- Studentyes. I see the controls.
- Studentlove you mcloving(:
- Teacherjust wait a minute Holly, you should not have them in a minute
- Bugscope TeamL/L have control now
- Bugscope Teamheadless fly
- Bugscope Teameeeuw
- StudentBye, controls.
Bugscope Teamhey you did a great job!
- Studenti like it!!
- Bugscope Teamthe tarsi are folded over the thorax
- Teacherwho brought in the fly, I can't remember
- Studenttheir legs are really werid
Bugscope Teamyes they have a number of forearm segments that are called tarsi
- Teacherby do bug legs fold up under them when they die?
- Studentwhat's a thorax?
Bugscope Teamthe thorax is the core of the body, like our chest/trunk
- Studentthey dont have bones do they?
Bugscope Teamno they have their bones on the outside, like a shell, called an exoskeleton
- 12:35 pm
- Studentflys have a trunk?
Bugscope Teaminsects have a head, thorax, and abdomen
- Bugscope Teamand they have six legs
- Bugscope Teamso it is not really a trunk
- Studentgo white sox
- Teacherlandon/dakota absolutely not
- Student!yess ma'ma
- Studentwhat exactly is a fly claw?
Bugscope Teammany insects have claws that can open and close like little grasper hands
- Bugscope Teamso there are two actual curved claws, and the little fine features are slitcky hairs -- tenent setae
- Teacherscot can we give clayton/andrew control now?
- Studentim scared of fruit flys now
Bugscope Teamthey are mostly just annoying. they can be hard to get rid of once they are in your house. they are attracted to rotting fruit most of all
- Bugscope Teaminside the tarsus -- the forearm segment -- is a tendon called an unguitractor that pulls to close the claw and loosens to open it
- Studentwhat is this?
- Bugscope Teamthis is where the fly's head should been
- Studentthis just looks naaassstyyy
Bugscope Teamit is
- Studentwhat is that?
Bugscope Teamthat is the 'neck' of the fly
- Bugscope TeamCate put the head directly on the stub. It is over to the right.
- Studentis that the headless fly
Bugscope Teamyes it came like that. it probably fell off en route to us
- Teacherhey scot
- Studentthats so gross
Bugscope Teamheh sorry
- Teachercan we give clayton/andrew control now?
Bugscope Teamokay A/C are the Supreme Rulers now
- 12:40 pm
- Studentis it supposed to look like that?
Bugscope Teamwe don't see the insides that often, but it is not a surprise
- Teacheryou guys got controls?
- Studentim the best supreme ruler of them all though... so uh yeah
Bugscope Teamno problemo
- Bugscope Teamthis is the spider's head
- Studentooh thats mine
- StudentI vote we zoom a little! hah
- Bugscope Teamspiders do not have a head/thorax/abdomen; they have a cephalothorax, which is the head and the thorax in one, and they also have an abdomen
- Studenthaha it looks like a crab!
Bugscope Teamyeah it does, good eye
- Studentwhat is the things on its back?
- Studentr the bumps the eyes?
Bugscope Teamyes they are!
- Bugscope Teamnow we see the pedipalps
- Teacherwheres its eyes?
Bugscope Teamyou cant see them too well but they are on the front part of the "shell", a little north from here
- Teacherand what is on it?
- Bugscope Teamthey're like boxing gloves, and this is a male spider, pretty sure, from the larger palps/pedipalps
- StudentWhat r Pedipalps?
Bugscope Teamthey're like accessory mouthparts, or the 9th and 10th leg
- Studentspiders can box?
- Studentyou spelled SPIDER wrong
- TeacherI hate to rush, but can we have cassidy and mary beth take over now?
Bugscope Teamgot it!
- 12:45 pm
- Studentwhat do they do for the spiter?
Bugscope Teamthe male spider fertilizes the female using the palps
Bugscope Teamand then he gets out of the way so he doesn't get eaten
- Studentwhats that?
Bugscope Teamthis is a beetle head
- Bugscope Teamsmall beetle
- Bugscope Teamyou can see the clubbed/lamellated antennae
- Studentloving relationship(the woman tries to eat him)
Bugscope Teamyeah praying mantises are like that too
- Teacherso how much time does he have to get away
Bugscope Teamit depends, of course, in part on whether the female is hungry
- Studentahaha ewwh! his baby's mom will eat him?
- StudentThat beetle has some massive pores..
- Bugscope Teammale spiders, depending on the species, can be much smaller
- Bugscope Teamthe females are just trying to get enough energy to lay eggs
Bugscope Teamyeah, thinking ahead. you're done, Dude, now I'm hungry
- Bugscope Teamyou can see sensilla on the short limb here
- Studenthow small can they get?
Bugscope Teamthey can be super tiny compared to the female
- Studentman im hungry too!
- 12:51 pm
- Teacherscot can we have abby and hannah now please?
- Studentwhy are the pictures black and white?
Bugscope Teamwhen we use electrons to get what are called secondary electrons to eject from the sample, the secondary electrons are collected in a detector as signal. there is no color, just intensity of signal
- Bugscope Teambut the samples are no longer colored anyway, not on the surface we see. because Cate coated them with gold/palladium, which is silver
- Studentwhat is this?
- Studentwhat is that
Bugscope Teamwe are looking at tenent setae on the forearm (tarsus) of the ladybug. which seems to have lost its claws
- Studentsilver to help with the magnification??
Bugscope Teamthe gold/palladium looks silver because palladium is silver. But we also put silver paint down to help the electrons run to ground
- Teacherwhy do they have to be gold/palladium coated?
Bugscope Teamthe Au/Pd makes the samples conductive so that the electrons do not just go into them and make them charge up
- Studentwhere is this hair located? the legs?
Bugscope Teamthis is on the legs, yes
Bugscope Teamif you take the mag down you can see where you are
- Teachersorry ladies, could we have dakota and landon now?
- Studentso lady bugs have hair?
Bugscope Teamyes but we are not supposed to call it hair because what defines and distinguishes mammals is that they have hair
- 12:56 pm
- Studentdo all bugs have hair on their legs or something?
Bugscope Teamyes many insects have varieties of what looks like hair
- StudentThats a bad idea Mrs. McAuliffe lol jk
Bugscope Teamnevertheless Dakota and Landon now have control
- Teacherno some shave
Bugscope Teamif they did they would lose the ability to sense their environment
- Bugscope Teamso Dakota and Landon you can now drive, you know
- Bugscope Teamthis is how insects breathe
- Studenti shave my legs.. i lost all ability to sense my enviroment
Bugscope Teamha but you have nerve endings in your skin
- Teacherwhats a spiracle?
Bugscope Teamit is an opening that is connected to tracheae inside the body that carry air/oxygen
- Studenti got my eyeballs to sense my enviroment
Bugscope Teamyou also have your nose to smell the air and nerve endings in your skin to sense touch, hot/cold
- Teacherbut bugs dont actually have lungs do they?
Bugscope Teamnot really. it is good that they are inefficient breathers; if they could breathe better they could be larger, and that would be frightening to us
- Studentit looks like a feather on a pillow on a blanket on a couch
- Studentwhats coming out of his eye
Bugscope Teamthe thing that looks like an eye is called the pedicel, and it is the base of the antenna
- 1:01 pm
- StudentIm not Scared of no bug!!!
Bugscope Teambut if they were like really big it might not be so pleasant
- Studenthahahaha CLAYTON
- Teacherhow about giant dragon flys during the triassic period?
Bugscope Teamthere was more oxygen in the atmosphere and insects could be larger
- Bugscope Teaminsects were bigger than because there was more oxygen in the air
- StudentWell im kind of scared of spiders.. Especially the big, black, hairy ones lol
- Studentwait. clayton your scared of spiders haha
Bugscope Teamspiders inject venom into their prey, the venom dissolves the insides of the prey, and then they suck it all up like a milkshake
- Studentgiant bugs = unhappy me... so thank you, lack of oxygen!
- Bugscope Teamassassin bugs and ambush bugs do the same kind of thing as spiders regarding table manners
- Studenti have table manners
- Studentno...you dont
- Studentso if we gave a spider more oxygen it would grow?
Bugscope Teamyeah I think if you gave them an atmosphere higher in oxygen they would be able to take advantage of that and become larger
- Studentwow thats scary to know!!
- Bugscope Teamspiders can jettison limbs at will, also. if they sense that a toxin has entered one of their legs they can just let it go
- Studenta untasteful milkshake
- Bugscope Teamhere we can see that at least from this view the beetle is unlikely to be able to climb. oops gone...
- 1:07 pm
- Bugscope Teamthis is a spiracle, but an odd one
- Studentand then they will grow it back right?
Bugscope Teamif they are the kind of spiders that live long enough to molt
- Studentit looks like Hooks... hook from peterpan
Bugscope Teamthat's right!
- Studentthanks, guys!
- Studentthank u!
- StudentTHANKS CATE AND SCOT
- Studentthank youuuuuu!(:(:
- Bugscope TeamThank You!
- StudentThanks scot and cate!!! I have to go now. Bye
- Bugscope TeamYou are a really good class, and we were happy to have you work with us.
- Teacherwe have to leave. Thank you so much for your help cate and scot
Bugscope Teamplease come back next year
- Bugscope Teamthanks. we hope you liked seeing your insects and some of ours!
- Teacherdefinately. thank you again.
- Bugscope TeamThank You!
- Teacherhave a good day
Bugscope Teamthank you
- Bugscope TeamCoach K are you still there?
- Bugscope Teamwe'll go ahead and shut down...