Connected on 2011-06-27 08:00:00
from , NY, US
- 7:16 am
- Bugscope Teamsetting up...
- 7:25 am
- Bugscope TeamPumping down...
- Bugscope Teamgood morning!
- 7:30 am
- Bugscope Teamsample is pumping down; then I'll be making presets
- Bugscope Teamgood morning Diamond!
- Studentgood morning
- Bugscope Teamin a minute I'll turn the beam on and start setup
- Bugscope Teamnow you're looking at the inside of the vacuum chamber with the sample stage at the lower middle of the image
- Studenti cnt c it..
- Bugscope Teamhit refresh
- Studenty u bloking it????
- TeacherGood morning. Our class only starts at 8:40, so we are early.
- Studenthow does this work
- Studentgood morning everyone
- Studentgood morning to you ti
- Studentwhat is this?
- Studentwhat is that
- Bugscope Teamsorry to be so slow to respond -- I'm setting up
- Bugscope Teamthis is the head of a grasshopper, and you can see the eye to the left
- 7:35 am
- Bugscope Teamthis is the compound eye
- Bugscope Teamlooks like it has little droplets of oil or something on the surface
- Studentis this still the grasshopper
Bugscope Teamyes it is I know it's hard to tell the way I'm jumping things around
- Studentwhat are those little paricles
- Studentoh okay
- Studentnow i understand
- Studentthta is a fly
- Studentlook at the nose
- Studentthis thing is so cool
- 7:41 am
- Studentare those claws ?
Bugscope Teamyes those were claws; there are six legs, six sets of claws
- Studentcan you put any bug under the scope?
Bugscope Teamas long as they're pretty small, like a cicada is too big, really
- Studentwhat is a cicada
Bugscope Teamone of those big dudes that lives underground for 17 years and then comes out and makes a lot of noise, breeds, lays eggs, and dies
- Studentwhat is a cicada
- Studentwhat is this?
- Studentthat is interesting
- Bugscope Teamthis is a wing scale from the butterfly
- Bugscope Teamway close up
- Studentit has pretty patterns
- Studentit looks like a hive
- Studentwhat are those
- StudentAre the bugs grey or that's how it is on the microscope?
Bugscope Teamthe microscope does not get color images because they (the images) come in as signal from the electrons that are ejected from the surface of the sample. the electron beam is smaller, thinner, finer than the wavelengths of light
- Studentwhat are the rock things
- Teacherthis thing look like 3d rock but is not
- 7:46 am
- Studentforget it they're sugar crystals
- Teacherso they can get sweet in their bodys i think
Bugscope Teamgood point that is what many insects feed on -- sugary nectar from flowers
- Teacher[I'm letting some students use my login -Mr. Fixl]
Bugscope Teamgot it
- TeacherLets go look at a butterfly claw
- Studentcan any one microscope a bug
- Bugscope TeamI'm locking the controls for a few minutes...
- Studentwhy are they hairy?
Bugscope Teamthey're hairy because insect use those hairs to help sense their environment
- Teacherthe legs are very hairy and is kin of weriod looking
- Bugscope Teamjust 'cause I want to go over the whole 1.75-in. stub and try to collect some good places for you
- Studentare they legs to a bug?
- Teacheri wonder how a butter fly legs look in the inside
- Studentwow i never knew that
- Studentcan you cut them open?
- Studentcan the hair be used for climbing?
Bugscope Teamsome of the hairs -- the setae -- are indeed used for climbing
- 7:51 am
- Bugscope Teamthey don't have skin with nerve endings in it; instead they have an exoskeleton -- like if you were wearing armor. so they need to be able to feel, taste their environment
- Studenthow can they lay eggs
Bugscope Teamthey're different, of course, but many use an ovipositor, which looks much like a stinger and sometimes is as well
- Studentthank u
- Teachercan the legs be cut open?
- Studentwhat is that?
- Bugscope Teamthis is a fruit fly, and you can see one of the legs, the tip of the leg with the claws
- Teacherwhen they go on ur skin and they grab you with that can that hurt?
- StudentWHAT DO THEY EAT ???
Bugscope Teamfruit flies eat the fungus that grows on fruit
- Bugscope Teamthose little pads have tiny hairs on them that help them stick to things
- Teacherdo they only eat fruit?
- Studentthank you for that info
- Bugscope Teamyou can see it has a hole in it where it was pinned, in someone's collection
- Bugscope Teamand you can see that after it died it really dried up and shriveled
- Teacherif is dead and you take the wings can it be turn into dust?
Bugscope Teamif you rubbed them in your fingers they would crumble to dust
- Studentdo bugs adapt to cold climate?
Bugscope Teamnot if they're used to it being warm, but some apparently have mechanisms for dealing with cold. still they are 'cold-blooded,' so they're not that mobile when it is cold
- 7:57 am
- Teacherdo they sleep
Bugscope Teamthey don't sleep but go into a state of sort of somnolence -- I can't remember the proper word for it. Like suspended animation, or really being sluggish and dull
- Studentwhat is that? the bottom part of the fly?
- Studentwhat is that the bottom part of the fly?
- Teacherdo they bugs sleep in midair?
- Teacherdo they sleep in mid air???
Bugscope Teamno. that wouldn't be a good idea -- they'd get eaten by birds or bats or other insects like dragonflies pretty quickly
- Studentwhy do they have that hole in that area??????????/
Bugscope Teamthat's where someone had collected the beetle and pinned it for her/his collection
- Studentthats cool
- Studentwhat is that
- Studentis that the head..
- Studentwhat animal is that
- Studentis that a fly?
- 8:02 am
- Bugscope Teamthis is a small beetle, like a cucumber beetle -- not sure really there are so many beetles
- Studentnever mind
- Studentthats a bug not an animal
- Studentit looks like the eyess.
- Teacherhello =]
- Bugscope Teamheh now we're on one of the antennae, and you can see it is pretty dirty
- Teacherlike you
- Studentit looks like a cateripella
- Teacherayoo sincere
- Studentlike who
- Teachernot you
- Studentwhat bug is that
Bugscope TeamTianna I'm not sure. I was thinking it was a ladybug larva.
- Studentthats a big bug
- Studentwhat is it
- Studentit only has 3 leg
Bugscope Teamit should have six byt we cannot see all of them
- Teacherno it dsnt
- Studentit only has 2 legs
- Teacheryess 2
- Teacherits 2
- Studentits really hairy
- Teacherits 6
- Studentwe dont know how to count
- Studentsomeone preserved it right
Bugscope Teamthat one just dried, not that well preserved if you look up close
- Teacheri doo
- 8:07 am
- Studentwhats up
- Studentit has a little head
- Teacherlookinq at somebug -.-
- StudentHola +}
- Studentr they the jaws of that bug?
Bugscope Teamyou got it -- these guys eat other bugs, but small ones, like aphids
- Teacherits wierd
- Studentso they kill the bugs and just put it under the mircoscpoe
- Studenthi is aury :)
- Teacherwats dat!?
- Studentthis is sincere
- Studentwas popinq
- Teachernah akiiii
- Teacherbebiendooo whiky wiky
- Bugscope Teamthese are the setae that help ladybugs climb on walls - they're on a kind of little pad on the surface of each leg
- Teacheryah losbae
- Bugscope Teamflies have something similar
- Studentam go to yah house 2day ii we gonna chill
- Teacherscotyour so smart -.-
- Studentyour suppose to ask questions
- Bugscope Teamactually many insects have similar structures, and you can tell, like by looking at a beetle, whether it would be able to climb a wall or not
- Teacheris that the baby?
Bugscope Teamit's not a baby -- it's a full-grown bug but very small. I think it is a kind of weevil
- Studentthis looks like a lady bug
- Studentiut has big eyes
- 8:12 am
- Teacherthats not the eye i think
- Studentwhere is CHAos
- Studentwhy does it look like that
- Studenthow are you scot
- Teacherbecuz it looks lyke that
- Bugscope Teamyeah that is one of the compound eyes, with lots of facets, each of which functions like an individual lens
Bugscope TeamTianna the control computer next to me is Chaos, so sometimes I get on it too. There's only one of me this morning, with three logins.
- Studentmymy name nane hasa scot
- Teacherduh everybodyknoes that
- Studentayoo was qudd
- Teacherbyee. x3'
- Student:] oh ok my bad
- Studentnoo lalii
- Studentwhat other bugs are there?
- Studentm huj
- Teachersome of them
- Teacheru mah dum
- Studentoh like the horse fly
- Studentits pretty big fly
- Studentso what happen 2 the real chaos
- Bugscope TeamI'm just figuring out what Cate put on the stub. She made the sample yesterday and is out today.
- Teacheroh okaie.
- Studentlike the horse fly right scot
- Studentwho is Cate ur assistant
Bugscope TeamCate is another microscopist.
- Studentthats a big head.
- 8:17 am
- Studentwhere do u work
Bugscope Teamthis is the University of Illinois, the Beckman Institute, in a lab 23 feet underground.
- Studenthello also like the horse fly
Bugscope Teamhorseflies are some bad little dudes, with slashing mouthparts
- Teacherwhere do u live?
Bugscope Teamin Champaign Illinois, the middle of nowhere
- Studentthe real diamond put that
- Teacherbyee x3' mkt
- Studentwats a horse fly
Bugscope Teamkind of a large fly that feeds on animal blood and uses its slashing mouthparts to cut into the skin -- the get the blood to flow
- Teacheri cant find u like dah
- StudentYU GOT ALL YUR DEGRWEES
- StudentHOW OLD ar u
Bugscope Teamunbelievably old
- Studentluks at the winings.?
- Studentcan we get back to bugs please
Bugscope Teamsure, Tianna
- StudentIf you work underground doesn't it make it hard to do things?
Bugscope Teamreally it is just like a deep basement
- Bugscope Teamyou can look up photos of us on the web site later
- Studentthank you for your cooperation ...cot
- Teacherwah bug is dah
- 8:22 am
- Studentsorry typo
- Bugscope Teamheh, sorry
- Teacherwah bug is dah
- Bugscope Teamthe person who is using Mr Fixl's login has control of the microscope now
- Studentwat dah heck iz yo?
Bugscope TeamI think yo is kind of an informal response when someone calls to you, or in that case it was
- Bugscope Teamthis is a small fly
- Studentcan the microscpe help detect bugs?
Bugscope Teamyes we work with entomologists sometimes, and they often want to be able to characterize insects by the features they see
- Studenti noe wat iz yo mr. scientist.
Bugscope Teamof course, but I am sorry it was kind of rude of me
- Studentthanx dictionary
- Studentwat bug iz dis now?
Bugscope Teamthis is a fly
- Studenthey its me sai sai
Bugscope Teamhi Sai Sai
- Studentno it isnt it is mine cuz we are mean kids
- Bugscope Teamyou can use click to center to move around
- Bugscope Teamand you can click on any one of the presets to get the 'scope to go to that area
- StudentCHANGE IT
- Bugscope TeamHL do you want to drive?
- Studentheyyyyyyyy nelson
- 8:27 am
- StudentYESSSSSSSSSS PLZ!!!!
- Bugscope TeamMr Fixl is doing a good job.
- StudentNelson in the house
Bugscope TeamHI Nelson
- StudentSCOT IS A GUY THAT LIVES.
- StudentUUUUUUU FANCY
- Studentcan kids visit to work there
Bugscope Teamthe guy who wrote the last version of our software started working with us when he was 15
- Studentback to creepy crawlies!!!!!!
- Studentnooo stupid!!
- Studentis this website only for bugs
Bugscope Teampretty much -- just because not much other stuff is that interesting to a wide number of people
- Studenti am chinese
- Bugscope Teamalright if I give HL control of the 'scope?
- StudentMY SOCKS ARE GREEN
- StudentAND FUZZY
Bugscope Teamheh nice
- StudentBUT I AM WEARING SANDALS
- Studenty r u being stupid
- Bugscope Teamthis is the stuff that Monarch butterflies eat
Bugscope TeamTianna sorry to be dumb but what does that mean?
- StudentTHAT LOOKS LIKE GRASS MR. SCIENTIST
- StudentCan we see a picture of the lab
Bugscope Teamon the Bugscope web page, like later, you can see what the 'scope looks like. it is pretty big
- 8:33 am
- StudentIS THAT HOW OLD U R?
- Studentmy friend nel wrote that for me sorry
- Studenti love u = 143
Bugscope Teamthanks, Nelson
- Bugscope Teamthis is the head of the butterfly
- StudentTHIS NIS A FLY RITE?
Bugscope Teamthis is the head of a butterfly. it does look like a fly
- Studenthey shirly
- Studentlook at the nose that sucks out blood...
Bugscope Teamthe nose -- the proboscis -- can be extended when the butterfly wants to feed
- Studenthi scot.
- Studentit look like it has 2 wooden eyes
- Studentmy friend has scott as a last name.
- Studentthey have fences over their eyes?
Bugscope Teamthere are scales stuck to the surface of the eye now, but the butterfly could brush them away when it was alive
- Studenthow can they see with so many things over eyes?
Bugscope Teamalso, each of the eye facets gets an image
- Studenthey im back
Bugscope Teamhah nice
- Studentdoes it hurt them
Bugscope Teamno, not really
- Studentthis is diamond
Bugscope Teamoh cool. welcome back, Diamond
- Studenthey diamond i see u ur sitting rite ne
- Studentso when thery break a wing, do they die?
Bugscope Teamif it breaks badly, yes -- they don't regrow. it'd be eaten or just die
- Bugscope Teamyou know I'm going to miss some questions but I'll do my best
- 8:38 am
- Studentwe should just talk about bugs
- Studentits ok scot. theres many people.
- Studentyeah i couldn't get back on my login
- Studentbye mr. scot
Bugscope Teamwhat? that's it?
- Studentits ok questions r question and there r 2 many
- Bugscope TeamThank You for connecting.
- Studentbye shrily
- Bugscope TeamDiamond I just gave you control, Dude.
- Studenthey tianna and scot
Bugscope TeamHey Sai Sai.
- Bugscope Teamthese are palps, covered with scales
- Bugscope Teamthe scales are kind of like little feathers
- Teacherling ling march is back
- Teachercan a butterfly suck blood out of a person body
Bugscope Teamthere is a moth in Russia that can suck blood but almost all other butterflies and moths drink nectar from flowers
- Studenthey watz up
- Studentit looks like a stomach
Bugscope Teamthe round thing is one of the eyes -- one of the compound eyes
- 8:43 am
- Studentno thats mosquitoes
- Bugscope TeamDiamond try going to another preset.
- Bugscope Teamyou can just click on it
- Bugscope Teamwhoop you're greyed out
- Bugscope Teamwhoa did I lose everyone?
- Teachercan the butter is likeus the people or do they see very different from us?
- Studenti am from russia
- Studenti am from russia
- Studentcool only in russia thats good
- Studentrusia all dayyy
- Studenti have swine flu
- Studenthave u seen biting moths
Bugscope TeamSai Sai they're on youtube, at least there is one link
- Studentone timre
- Bugscope TeamDiamond! Click on another preset so we can see some of the other critters.
- Studentfrom a mpth
- Studentwere u born in illinois
- Studenti am from russia
- Teacher do the butter see like us or do they have their own different way of seeing
Bugscope Teamwell they have much better peripheral vision of course, with the dome shape, and they see colors we can't see, but they may not see all the colors we see
- Teacheri mean butter fly
- Teacherhi scot is ling ling march
- StudentHOW JU DOIN???
- StudentJALA MA JKHA LENOOPIIUW THATS MY NAME
- 8:48 am
- Teacheroh so they could see some things that we can't see? right!
- Bugscope Teamif you had compound eyes it would be hard to get sunglasses that fit, and you might not be able to get dates easily, but you would have a very good ability to see motion.
- Studenthensen get off ur writing stupid things
- Bugscope Teamlike when you try to swat a fly, it sees you in what would be like slow motion, so it can easily move out of the way
- Studentim from MEXICO
- StudentSO BUTTERFLIES ARE LIKE PEOPLE RIGHT...
Bugscope Teamnot so much, but they do see pretty well.
- Bugscope TeamSaionna do you want to drive?
- Studenthensen i heard bout chu u like jensen ackles
- Studentgo MEXICANS!!!!!!!!!!
Bugscope Teamokay I just gave you control
- Studentsaionna i heard u lik jared padalecki
- Teacherdo they do some things like humans do? ( like us the people)
Bugscope Teamwell they have to eat and breed and stuff but they are not that much like us
- Studentand hes from russia.
- StudentDID THE PIGS OR PEOPLE GIVE US swine?
Bugscope Teamprobably it was first noticed in pigs, and it was found to be tranmissible to humans
- Bugscope Teamyou can change mag, go in/out of focus, select -- uh I see you got it ;)
- Studentdo tjey mate?
- Teacheroh ok
- Teacherdo fly kiss?
Bugscope Teamnot really, or not like romantically...
- StudentScot do you have the Swine Flu
Bugscope Teamheh I hope not
- Teacherok i just wanted to know
- Bugscope Team--.--
- 8:53 am
- Studenti thought u were old school
Bugscope TeamDude I am pretty much old school -- I don't know all of the new stuff.
- Bugscope Teamthis is a larva of something I am not sure about
- Bugscope Teamlike this may be a ladybug larva -- they look much like this
- Teacherhow do the fly go to the bathroom?
Bugscope Teampretty much like people -- but it is more dry. they conserve liquids.
- Teacherscot i think u are cool and cool to talk to
Bugscope TeamHey Thanks!
- Studentdo u have facebook
Bugscope Teamno I don't like the idea of being so exposed.
- Studenti wanna see weevil heads
- Studentis the swine flu in russia cuz im there
- Bugscope TeamI'm sitting at the microscope console, so I can drive sometimes from here.
- Bugscope Teamthis is a pretty cute little bug
- Bugscope Teamsee the mandibles?
- Studentur old school scot then how old r u
- Teacherhow do flys go to the bathroom??? :O
- Studenti dont think ur that old
- Studentwhat is that
Bugscope Teamthis is the little weevil
- Bugscope Team an insect's mouth opens from side to side
- Teacherok i am a girl i am using my teacher computer
- Studentare flies reproducers
Bugscope Teamyou mean do they reproduce? sure! they have maggot babies. like pretty gross
- Studentioh cool
- Studentshut up hemwatie
- Teacherare all these bugs dead
Bugscope Teamyes. they're in a vacuum chamber -- that is where we are looking at them
- 8:58 am
- Studentshut up Jainabou and melissa
- Studenthey scot , jainibou likes u...
- Teacherhow many babies can a fly give birth to?
Bugscope TeamI think hundreds, at least
- Bugscope TeamI just switched the 'scope so you can see the inside of the chamber.
- Studentbugs are cool things, and they cunique like us humans
Bugscope Teamthey are unique, quite different from us but need to be able to do many of the same things
- Studentthats cool
- Studentyah dum fiks
- Studentwerd shut up hem
- Studentim done drivingggggggggggggggg
- Studentyes dey are
- Studentokay saiokau!!!
- Studentno cursing!!
- Bugscope TeamHey Sai Sai good job.
- Studenttianna i dont know who r so leave me alone
- Bugscope TeamHensen has control now.
- Teacherwhat is that the mouth/
Bugscope Teamyes it is
- Teachercan the y chew up people skin?
Bugscope Teamsome can, but that was very small
- Bugscope Teamthese are the tenent setae -- the sticky hairs that help insects stick to things
- Studentthats the eye?
Bugscope Teamit is hard to tell, maybe, but those are little tiny hairs
- Studentthanks scot
- Bugscope Teamgood job driving
- Studentsaionna shut up and scot how do u look
Bugscope Teamyou can see what I look like on the Bugscope web page
- 9:03 am
- Studentstop cursing tianna
- Bugscope Teamif that is what you meant, Tianna.
- Studentim not
- StudentMILKWEED.ONARCHS ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT EAT THIS\
Bugscope Teamgot it Dude. it is poisonous to many things.
- Studentwell yaa need to stop
- Studentno i dont have 2 shutup
- StudentAND THIS IS STILL POISONUSE
Bugscope Teamyes it makes the Monarchs taste bad, and spiders will cut them out of their webs instead of trying to bite them.
- Studentthat is what im talking about thanx
- StudentI AM NOT A DUDE IM A DUDEE
- Teacherwhat are we looking at ?
- Studentif u had a chance to be young again what would different
Bugscope TeamI would have been more careful about what I chose to do.
- Studentsaionna suck a dick
- Studentmilk weeds
- Studenttianna didnt write that it was little stupid kids
- Studenttianna is on im back
- Bugscope Teamwe're cool
- Bugscope Teambe sure and take the mag down if you want to look around more
- StudentI was here +)
- Studentthat was malbinson
- Studenthensen was here :)
- TeacherOK. I think we are done for today. Time to clean up. Thank you Scott - Mr. Fixl
- Bugscope TeamThank You!
- Studentok bye mr scot
- Bugscope TeamIt was really fun to work with all of you today.
- Studentbye mr swine flu
- StudentBYE mi amigo
- Bugscope Teamheh
- Teacherok bye
- 9:08 am
- Studenthensen is a girl
- Studentit was a joke
- Bugscope TeamSee you next year!
- Bugscope TeamBye Saionna!
- Bugscope TeamCool Bye to Ling Ling March!
- Teacherok bye
- Bugscope TeamBye Mr Fixl!
- Teacherpeace out
- Studenthi bye
- Teacheryeah duces
- Studentjhugdwluifte7IGFYIuedfkUTYHEF;hyelkjgt8iyWGVBE;KUGSDIGB bye
- Teachersorry type o
Bugscope Teamheh ok I am shutting down...
- Teachergood bye
- Teacherit was fun talking to u
- Bugscope Teamyeah that was a lot of fun
- Teacherok i just saw ur picture
- Bugscope TeamSai Sai I am shutting down -- over and out!
- Bugscope Teamgood for a few laughs
- Teacherhow come u waas not talking to us
- Bugscope Teamyou guys are all done, right?
- StudentDiamond quick question
- Bugscope Teamif someone else is on I am cool
- 9:13 am
- Bugscope Teamyeah?
- Bugscope Teamthis is Scot, of course, again
- Studentif bugs were not alive would it change humanity
Bugscope Teamit would be so completely different
- Studentwe saw ur picture
- Bugscope Teamreally -- bees help crops grow, for example
- Studentok thanks bye
- Bugscope Teamand many insects are decomposers -- they help get rid of dead things and let it all start over
- Bugscope TeamBye!