Connected on 2010-06-09 08:00:00
from , NY, US
- 7:36 am
- Bugscope Teamhello! good morning
- Bugscope Teami am setting up your session now
- Bugscope Teamright now, it's only me here, i am doing my best to get your session ready. scott should be here soon.
- Bugscope Teamif you have any questions, please let me know
- 7:55 am
- 8:00 am
- 8:07 am
- 8:13 am
- 8:19 am
- 8:25 am
- 8:30 am
- 8:38 am
- Studentwhat is that?
- Bugscope Teamhi students, welcome to bugscope!
- Bugscope Teamthis is the head of a borer insect
- Studentoh cool is looks gross though
- Studentits pretty
- Bugscope Teamyeah, insects under an electron microscope kinda look disgusting... :)
- Studenthow old r u
- Bugscope Teami am 38 years old.
- Studenth my gosh
- Studentodee ur man old
- Studentr u cute
- Bugscope Teamyeah, well, old, but cool
- Bugscope Teamwhat grade are you all in?
- Bugscope Teamah, so high schoolers. cool
- Studentnaaa jk we are in 7 grade
- Studentmiddle schoolers
- Bugscope Teamhi mr fixl
- Bugscope Teammiddle schoolers, even better
- Bugscope Teamwelcome
- Studentoh oh
- Studenthi kid name alex
- Studentwatchu mean even better
Bugscope Teammiddle schoolers often ask the coolest questions about bugs
- Bugscope Teamwelcome mr. fixl, we are ready for you anytime
- Bugscope Teami just unlocked the session, so you should see microscope controls on the right
- Studentooh my bad you not a kid
- Studentoh lol kk
- Studentum the eyelash look awesome
- Studentwat do u do for a living
- 8:43 am
- Studentbatting eyelashes
- Studentwhat kind of bugs are this
Bugscope Teamwe do have some insects like the borer beetle, fruit fly, caterpillar, and then we have the eyelash, salt, and a couple different kinds of sugars
Bugscope Teamthis is a borer insect
- TeacherGreat. We have 4 computers set up in the classroom. Mine is going up on the screen through the projector
- Bugscope Teamwell, i am a systems administrator. scott is an electron microscopist and a manager of a lab. cate is a microscopist as well.
- Studentwhatever Mr. Fixl
- Studentare bugs mamals
Bugscope Teamnope, they are not. they aren't warm blooded and their skeletons are on the outside, among a few other differences that separates mammals from insects
- Bugscope Teamsee the scale bar in the lower left of the image? if you click on it, it'll show you more detail about what you are looking at
- Studenthey cate!
- Studentr their any girls online
Bugscope Teamcate is a girl, yes, and she is also a great microscopist and cool person to work with
- Studentwe are in class bored
- Studentwhy does the beetle sensory pits looks so small it looks like circles
Bugscope Teamthey are small, it's a small beetle and those pits are magnified 800x, as to why they look like that I'm not sure
- Studentum you natanya duh and dexterrine and me
- Studenthi cate hows it goin
Bugscope Teampretty good, you?
- Studentayoo wass wqo0d homiee
- Bugscope Teammr. fixl, are you able to control the scope? if you have any questions let us know. you can also click on any preset and it'll move to that location
- Studentunprofessional!!! cam cam
- Bugscope TeamAnnie, our expert bug person, might be on later as well
- Studentim good cate
- Studentwat do u find interest abt bugscope
Bugscope Teamit is a way to get young people interested in science, and it quite often works...
- Studentooh cool thanks
- Studenttheir cool
- Studentdo u find us weird
Bugscope Teamheh, no, this is normal. really, we've had some crazy sessions over the years
- Studentand buggy
- Studentayo0 shawtyy let me hollah att chuu !. ;]
- Studentcan ya respo0nd to camila
- StudentSorry people that was my friend
- Studentoh kool how crazii i no we are middle schoolers n we think...........
- 8:48 am
- Bugscope Teamis mr. fixl able to control the scope?
- Bugscope Teamif you are having problems mr fixl, please let us know
- Studenthe handles it pretty well
- Studentit makes thiings interestiingt
- Studentpeter and jorge
- Bugscope TeamDexterine what a cool name.
- Teacher Sorry, I was working to get another computer online
- Studentthank you
- Bugscope Teamthe sequel to Mr Fixl
- Studentitx a girl name
- Studentu dont think ma name is cool scot
- TeacherLooks like magnification work.
- Bugscope Teamawesome,
- Studentu dont like me
- Studenti like pie
- Studentur name natanya
- Bugscope Teamit's the most awesome name
- Studenti like scot
- Bugscope Teambut Natanyaya is pretty cool too, not a slacker name like Scott
- Bugscope TeamThx
- Bugscope Teamantennae are very important to insects so sometimes you will find combs on their legs that they use to clean them with
- Bugscope Teamsome insects have these combs on their arm segments or claws
- Studentoh $H!+ U JUS CALLED UR SELF A SLACKER
- Bugscope Teamsome insects have combs on all six legs, I found out yesterday
- Bugscope Teamhaha
- Studenthehe i bet u use to behqve like this in middle school scott
- StudentFruit Fly?????
Bugscope Teamyep, a fruit fly. they look really cool under an electron scope
- Studentr there any speciesof bugs that r bigger than usual scot
- TeacherI'm working on a netbook. The screen isn't as big as the student laptops. It might be better if they try out the controls.
Bugscope Teamjust let us know who you would like to have control
- Bugscope Teamso if you click on the databar, like where its says 56 um, you can open up something that tells you what the 'scope parameters are
- Bugscope Teamsure mr. fixl, we can give control to anyone logged in
- Studenthow old scot
Bugscope Teamunbelievably old, like a rock
- Bugscope Team56 um means 56 microns, or micrometers
- 8:53 am
- TeacherOK. Netanya is next to me, Let her try.
- Studentfixl u spell ma name rong dog
- Bugscope Teamok, natanya has control of the scope. she's driving! put on your seat belts!
- Studentawwww poor scott
- Teacherwrong is spelled 'rong"?
- Bugscope Teamnp
- Studenti am driving?
Bugscope Teamyou have control of the microscope
Bugscope Teamyes you have control on the right of the browser window
- Bugscope Teamgo for it natanya, you can change the mag, click on a preset. just give it a try
- Studentyeah Scot how old are
Bugscope Teamlike geologically old, like when all of the continents were together
- Bugscope Teamyou can click on any of the presets to get to that place on the 'scope
- Bugscope Teamnatanya, you are controlling a $750,000 electron microscope. live over the internet.
- Studenthow old r u scot i no alex is 38
- Studentscot by juh keep changing the subject
- Studentdo bugs fart
Bugscope Teamthey're really pretty quiet about it
Bugscope Teamwell, in a way they do, all organism have some kind of excrement, even bugs, and some probably release some gas now and then...
- Studentnatanya asked you someting
- Studentur not that old dude
- Studentdo bugs have feelings
Bugscope Teamthey can sense pain, but maybe on a different scale compared to us
- Studentsooo ghetto natanya
- Bugscope Teamgot to fix the brightness
- Studentdo u fart alex?
Bugscope Teamof course i do
- Studentin public or private alex
Bugscope TeamNatanya please don't get him going in that, like, direction.
- Studentof course they do we kill them
- Bugscope Teamall organisms on this plant eat living things from their surroundings, and produce waste from the digestive process, and must release that waste in the form of poop or farts, whatever...
- 8:59 am
- Studentewwww ya gotta rite so neat
- Studentthat looks like td's
- Bugscope Teamthis is the underside of the jaw of a beetle
- Bugscope Teami cannot talk about where or when i fart. let's just say we all do it, we all know we do it, what else needs to be said? we got some cool bugs to look at instead!
- Studenti dont tink we kiids are interested in buggs but owell
- Bugscope Teamnatanya, you are doing a good job of controlling the scope!
- Studenti am
- Bugscope Teaminsects are different from us in a lot of ways, and one is that they don't have skin -- they have their skeleton on the outside
- Bugscope Teamif you see another preset you like, go ahead and click on it
- Student gracias or thanx
- Studentbugs are a totally different species
Bugscope Teamexactly -- it's an alien life form
- Bugscope Teamde nada
- Bugscope Teamyeah, and bugs have really cool eyes too, they are called compound eyes
- Bugscope Teamwe have a couple of presets of compound eyes...
- TeacherWhat other samples do we have?
- Bugscope Teamthey have little built-in combs 'cause of course they don't have pockets to keep stuff in
- Studenty dont ya magnify human body parts?
- Studentnice skulls on de outside
Bugscope Teamyeah so with their skeleton on the outside it's like wearing a coat of armor all of the time, if you are a person
- Studenty dont ya magnify human body parts
Bugscope Teamsamples have to be pretty small and fit in the 'scope
- Bugscope Teammr. fixl, if you scroll through the presets on the right, we've got 22 different presets of a beetle, fruit fly, moth,sugar, salt, human eyelash, borer, caterpillar, ant, mosquito, flea and a true bug
- 9:04 am
- Studentwats a fruit fly comb?
Bugscope Teamwell, the fly uses it to clean itself, like your antenna or your eye
- Teacherits a cool bug
- Studentsomebody plz answer ma questi0on
- Studenty dont ya magnify human body part?
Bugscope TeamMost body parts would be too big
- Bugscope TeamNatanya with this microscope the sample has to be pretty small and in a vacuum chamber. Like even a cicada is big in this 'scope.
- Bugscope Teamlike too big
- Bugscope Teamwe are trying our best natanya, some of the answers show up on the left, in the "Your Questions" section
- Bugscope Teamwe can show you the inside of the vacuum chamber
- TeacherAre these caron coated or is this the e-cell?
- Studentkool show us den plz
- Studentplease show us
- Bugscope Teamwe don't work with insects that much
- Bugscope Teamthese are gold-palladium coated
- Studentits dark in there
Bugscope Teamright! this microscope doesn't use light to get the image, instead it gets the image from electrons that bounce off the sample
- Studentlooks like a haunted movie picture
Bugscope Teamyeah that is a good way of putting it
- Bugscope Teamthe electron beam comes from the cone at the top and the samples are on the platter at the bottom
- Bugscope Teaminsects are easy to image because in order to go in the microscope the samples have to be pumped to vacuum. When insects dry out they retain most of their shape. Put a human body part in there and it will look shriveled, unless it is bone
- StudentYAY no skool 2mr
- Bugscope Teamthis is an electron microscope, so it doesn't use light at all. the image is gathered from electrons that are inside the vacuum chamber
- Bugscope Teamguess what this is
- Bugscope Teamthese are some bad little dudes
- Studentewww d flea looks creepy
Bugscope Teamit is they are bad little dudes, dudettes
- Teachertell mr.fixl that he should giv us candy!!!
- 9:09 am
- Studenthehe.....wat if u cut off a lady titi
Bugscope Teamit would be way too big to see
- Bugscope Teamwe can see things more on the level of cells, stuff like that
- Studentdo bugs have breasts
Bugscope TeamThere are some insects that have "milk glands" inside the female reproductive system. In these species, the eggs hatch inside the females reproductive system, and the larvae feed on these milk glands. This is fairly uncommon.
- Bugscope Teamso if we wanted to look at breast tissue we would use a light microscope or the TEM
- Studentkool we wanna sewe that
Bugscope Teamyou wouldn't recognize things on that level, or you would once you learned what cells and stuff look like at that scale
- Bugscope Teamthere are scientists here that study breast cancer, they are trying hard to find a cure or slow the disease.
- Studentso they do have tits
- Studentwho is deb?
- Bugscope TeamDeb is prob'ly shocked at the turn of the conversation
- Bugscope Teamants milk aphids but not through breasts
- Studentnice how to flies get pregnat
Bugscope TeamThe same way dogs and whales and human beings do. They have internal fertilization.
- Bugscope Teammany insects do not care for their young at all
- Bugscope Teamand some insects, or spiders, might be eaten by their kids
- Bugscope Teamhello deb, welcome to bugscope, are you here previewing for an upcoming session?
- Studentso they get intimate
Bugscope Teamit's not that exciting, from our perspective
- Studentewww they are diry so do they have gentials?
Bugscope TeamI really wouldn't call it dirty. It is just the way that it is. I study mating behavior in beetles. I dissect beetle genitalia. It is not that sexy.
- 9:14 am
- Bugscope Teambut right now natanya has control. we can give you back control if you want, mr fixl
- Bugscope Teamyou can see the eyespot
- Studentlmfao! sexii?
- Bugscope TeamI like how they have a little cubby for their antennae.
Bugscope Teamthat is so cool I only realized that today
- Studentwheres the pupil
Bugscope Teamit doesn't really have a pupil -- it's a kind of poor light receptor
- Bugscope Teampheromones are kind of like perfume, and Annie studies that in one kind of beetles
- Studentwat do u mean wen u say its not that sexii?
Bugscope Teamit's just nature, so it's not charged with meaning, just the way things work
- Studentdat looks so cool
Bugscope Teamit really does
- Bugscope Teamsome insects and spiders will try to eat the other after mating
- Studentwtf........thgey do?
Bugscope Teamthere are various ways they mate, and as Annie says they usually have internal fertilization
- Studentitz like their dead
Bugscope TeamThey ARE dead.
- Studentlook at dat tongue
Bugscope Teamcool huh, it's actually the proboscis
- Studentis it?
Bugscope TeamAll of the insects we are seeing today are dead. Otherwise they wouldn't sit still long enough for us to look at them
- Studentmi bad
Bugscope Teamno really close -- the tongue is inside
- Studentoh kk
- 9:19 am
- Bugscope Teamsome of these guys eat plants, but some eat other bugs
- Studentwat made ya think to do a job as a bugscope magnifier?
Bugscope Teamthis is really super fun. what we normally do is train people to run the mciroscopes down here to do their own research
- Studentafter we mated
- Studentdats weird
- Studenthow many things can they see we such an eye
Bugscope Teamwell, we think they only see one image, their brain puts all the individual images into one image, kind like how our brain does that with two images
- Studentoh kool i wanna be a cake artist
- Studenti want a bugs eye view for 1 day
Bugscope TeamNO DOUBT, that would be so cool.
Bugscope Teamif you had bug eyes it would be hard to buy sunglasses, and to get dates, probably. but you would have great peripheral vision, and no one would be able to sneak up on you
- Bugscope Teamthis is called a compound eye
- Studenthey ded
- Bugscope Teameach hexagon has a lens in it
- Studenti wear glasses
- Bugscope Teamand it's curved because the lens's are fixed, can't move, so the curved eye let's them see in different directions
- Studentme too
- Studentwassup dexterine wats crackin lackin
- TeacherWhat accelerating energy are we at? How about beam current?
Bugscope Team5 kV, spot 3, which is about 2 nm
- Studentyea ton ton
- 9:25 am
- Studentwatchu doin
- Bugscope TeamDude I don't know what the beam current is but it is microAmps
- Studentscot i tink ur like 20
- Bugscope Teamoh yeah Cate reminded me we have seen like four Higgs bosons with this 'scope.
- Bugscope TeamMr Fixl if you click on the micron bar you will see the 'scope parameters projected onto the screen
- Studentcan u give fixl bal d control
- Bugscope Teammr fixl, you have control again
- Studenttake of the music
- Bugscope Teamhey student
- Studentsaid who?
- Student hola
- Studentllo no ablo ingles
Bugscope Teamno habla espanol either
- 9:30 am
- Bugscope Teamwe are going to another preset now, scott is taking us
- Studentwhose 'student'
- Bugscope Teamah cool, these are sugar crystals
- Bugscope Teamyummy sugar
- Studentcamila is d student
- Teacher Can we let Dexerine control next?
Bugscope Teamdone deal
Bugscope TeamDexterine has control now Mr Fixl.
- Bugscope Teamdexterine, you have control
- Studentcamila is the student alex scot
- Studentwhoa it looks......
- Teacherwhat is sugar crystal
Bugscope Teamthis is like, what goes on your doughnuts, and in your coffee
- Studentreaaly weirdand hairy
- Studentwats de hair for
- 9:35 am
- Studenty ya have pic of dexterine
- Studenty ya have a pic of dexterine
- Studenteff u tanya
- Bugscope Teamthis is a moth
- Bugscope Teamyou guys are so expressive
- Studenthuh? watchu mean expressive
- Bugscope Teamhere is another compound eye
- Bugscope Teamlots of time there's dirt and grime on insects, we call it juju
- 9:40 am
- Bugscope Teamthese bumps in the compound eye are called ommatidia
- Studentdo u no the song by drake over
Bugscope Teamno, is it about compound insect eyes?
- Bugscope Teameach one contains a lens
- Bugscope Teamm
- Studentcan we see de lens
Bugscope Teamwell, sometimes the ommatidium will be broke and we can see inside, but i don't see a broken one now
- Bugscope Teamwe cannot see through things with the electron microscope, not this kind of electron microscope; this one sees only the very surface of things
- Bugscope Teamand this eye is very dirty
- Bugscope Teamthis is why insects have combs built into their arms, so they can keep things clean
- Studenthell no lol:D
- Bugscope Teamthis is much better, obviously
- Bugscope Teamhere's a clean compound eye
- Bugscope Teamthese compound eyes are very good at seeing movement, so they really help out flying insects...
- Studentbored listening to pon d floor major lazer!!!
Bugscope TeamNatanya what are you studying? Like, what do you like? I think the more stuff you know about the more interesting everything is.
- 9:46 am
- Bugscope Teamyes that is why they can see you coming -- if you try to swat a fly, to the fly it looks like you are moving in slow motion
- TeacherThese facets seem to be much larger than the others we have seen. Almost 80um vs. about 20um.
- Studentany thing interesting anybody wants to see?
Bugscope TeamDexterine go to the moth scale, maybe...
- Bugscope Teammoths, butterflies, mosquitoes, silverfish, and some random weevils and beetles, very few, have scales
- Bugscope Teamscales are kind of like tiny feathers, and they do several cool things for the insects that have them
- Bugscope Teamif you measure the distance between the ridges on a scale you may be able to determine what color it reflects
- Bugscope TeamRandom fact of the day: There is a kind of moth that is a pest on chocolate--not the cocoa plant itself, but actual processed chocolate.
Bugscope Teamwow what did it do before people made chocolate?
Bugscope TeamI don't know!
- Bugscope Teamthe moth is covered with scales
- Bugscope Teammoths are covered in scales, helps them to escape from spider webs
- Bugscope Teamif a moth gets stuck in a spider web, it'll shed some scales and be able to get out
- Bugscope Teamso you can see that the divisions are maybe 2 microns apart, which is actually the length of a bacillus bacterium
- 9:51 am
- Bugscope Teamcool
- Bugscope Teamscales produce colors from pigment but can also produce what are called 'structural colors.'
- Bugscope TeamThere is a kind of moth in Russia that sucks blood.
Bugscope Teamof course it would be from Russia -- they always have the coolest stuff
- Bugscope Teamthis is part of a wing, and you can see that when Cate made the sample she painted this down with silver paint.
- Studentvampire moth
Bugscope Teamyeah look out
- Bugscope TeamThey call them vampire moths! I watched a video of the moth biting someone. It did not look pleasant.
- Bugscope Teamthe stage we put the samples on is only 1.75 inches in diameter, about 50 mm
- Studenttwilight moth stlye
Bugscope Teamheh that is right
- Bugscope Teamso we can't put very large stuff on it
- Bugscope Teamso Annie did it uncurl its proboscis?
Bugscope Teamyes--it sort of drove the proboscis into the person's hand.
- Bugscope Teamtotally gnarly
- Bugscope Teamthey must be able to sense CO2 and or heat from your body
- Bugscope Teaminsects and other similar arthropods have senses that we don't have
- Bugscope Teamsome of them can see light in the UV ranges, which we cannot
- Studentgnarly coincidense i just thought of that
- TeacherI think we need to clean up and get ready for the end of the period now.
- Bugscope Teamwow.
- Bugscope Teamall the chat and images from today's session are saved to your member page: http://bugscope.beckman.illinois.edu/members/2010-044
- Bugscope TeamMr Fixl we will see you Friday, right?
- 9:56 am
- Bugscope Teamlet us know if there's something else you'd like to see in the 'scope
- Studentgood bye everybody
Bugscope TeamGood Bye Dexterine!
- Studentthis was different
- Bugscope Teamgood job students, you did great!
- Bugscope TeamThank You!
- TeacherYes,onehourearlier.Thankforall your patience and excellent information!
- Bugscope Teamfor sure
- Bugscope Teambut you get to see how this works, kind of cool -- we're not using light but electrons
- Bugscope Teamsee you on friday!
- Bugscope TeamThank You!
- Bugscope Teamover and out!
- Bugscope Teamwait
- Bugscope TeamDeb are you there?
- Bugscope Teamokay if we are done...
- Studentbye you guess later
Bugscope TeamBye Natanya!
- Bugscope TeamThank You!