Connected on 2015-04-22 19:30:00 from McLean County, Illinois, United States
- Bugscope Team pumping down
- Bugscope Team vacuum is almost there
- Bugscope Team Hi Kelly!
- Teacher Hey, Daddio.
- Teacher We have only three lines of chat here, so we're not going to be able to write much.
- Bugscope Team are you using a cell phone?
- Teacher No. We're on a projector, which is limiting the resolution. The image occupies about 80% of the screen, with only three/four lines of chat.
- Bugscope Team ugh there are a lot of tiny wax rings on the critters, so far
- Bugscope Team Hey daddio. They're doing an intro program at 7, then will start in here around 7:30.
- Bugscope Team Sounds great! It will give me time to navigate, find some cool stuff.
- Bugscope Team Yeah, keep at it. Kelly's talking with a PPT now, so the chat is hidden.
- Bugscope Team precipitate?
- Bugscope Team If you're not part of the solution...
- Bugscope Team yahoo dumb as a bag of hammers search engine
- Bugscope Team We did not find results for: thrips.
- Bugscope Team BTW: TJ, Joe, etc., coming online tonight?
Bugscope Team um I hope so
- Bugscope Team What do you mean?
Bugscope Team I typed thrips into yahoo search and it came up with nada
Bugscope Team ??? search for "thrips": "668,000 results"
- Bugscope Team Suggestions: Check your spelling. Try more general words. Try different words that mean the same thing. Try asking a question on Yahoo Answers. For more helpful tips on searching, visit the Yahoo Search Help Center.
Bugscope Team Ahahahaha. Well, it works for me.
- Bugscope Team Whatever you are looking at now is really cool.
- Bugscope Team yeah the plants are totally winning out this evening
- Bugscope Team Hi Tobie, Hi Phyl!
- Bugscope Team Hello, Tobie and Phyl! We're setting up for a presentation at Illinois State University this evening.
- Bugscope Team Was Mark able to use those kidney bean leaves? Or was there not enough time for him.
Bugscope Team sorry no he had his hands full with this stuff
Bugscope Team Not a problem. I'm sorry I couldn't get it to you sooner.
- Guest Hi Daniel. Watching with interest!
- Bugscope Team actrua
- Bugscope Team duh
- Bugscope Team actual spiracle on thrips
- Bugscope Team plant spiracle
Bugscope Team Looks like Jabba the Hut's eye. Chas kee nyowkee koo chooskoo, Han Solo.
- Bugscope Team some good-looking critters but many not well preserved or covered with rings of wax
- Bugscope Team this is sad, I am sorry
Bugscope Team You mean what's on the screen now? What exuded the wax?
Bugscope Team I believe they have a kind of waxy coating on their cuticle, and it comes off and rolls into little rings with like spring pressure
- Bugscope Team this is super nice, however
- Bugscope Team what is this?
Bugscope Team some kind of fungus?
- Bugscope Team it's a plant, or a tiny piece of a plant, with thrips on it
- Bugscope Team this is a trichome
Bugscope Team ah
Bugscope Team neat
- Bugscope Team Joe does this look like a larval thrips?
Bugscope Team hmm can i see the left end?
- Bugscope Team yea, that looks like a larval thrips
- Bugscope Team three sets of legs and if it has prolegs they will be on the other side
- Teacher Dude, I'm switching browsers. THere are no mag buttons here.
- Bugscope Team bacteria
- Bugscope Team yea the head looked thrips like, from the eyes
Bugscope Team the antennae looked like they broke off?
Bugscope Team yeah I feel pretty bad; the plants came out far better than most of the mites and aphids and other critters
Bugscope Team heh
Bugscope Team well soft bodied critters are harder to prep right?
- Teacher We are running now.
- Bugscope Team Daniel-San you have control now, as Kelly?
- Bugscope Team this is the tip of the abdomen of the thrips larva
- Bugscope Team we have seen these before; I think they are wax that peeled off of the plant and curled up
- Bugscope Team but I am not sure it doesn't come off of insects or hexapods
- Teacher What is this?
Bugscope Team it obscures many of the small insects/mites
- Bugscope Team here is a lower mag view of where we are
- Bugscope Team there is a mite or something along the ridge to the upper left but it is covered with debris when you get up close
- Bugscope Team we could see an eye
- Teacher broken antennae?
Bugscope Team yes
Bugscope Team yea it's complete, but kinked near the base
- Teacher menacing mouth part?
Bugscope Team the mouthparts will be close to the body and on the other side, I think
- Bugscope Team huh i wonder what this guy is, maybe a mealy bug?
Bugscope Team could be -- there are some on here
Bugscope Team i'm going with mealy bug, those weird curls on its cuticle makes me think it's that
- Bugscope Team this is what stomates look like in some insects/hexapods
- Bugscope Team wow this is a really cool shot
Bugscope Team it is...
- Bugscope Team yeah we can see the other one now
- Bugscope Team looks like a civil defense placard
Bugscope Team haha
- Bugscope Team this is my favorite for the day, perhaps
- Bugscope Team we see tht it has three ocelli
- Bugscope Team that...
- Bugscope Team please anyone if you have questions let us know
- Bugscope Team Joe is an entomologist.
- Bugscope Team I'm an electron microscopist.
- Teacher what are the knobs antennae?
Bugscope Team in front? yes
Bugscope Team they're busted off
Bugscope Team yea the antennae would be like 3-4x that length when not busted off
- Bugscope Team this is the mouth, obscured with juju
- Bugscope Team oh no! the present is gone!
- Bugscope Team there was a circular element in the middle of the stomate
- Bugscope Team or actually spherical
- Bugscope Team oh you can kind of see the off set mouthparts here
Bugscope Team need your John Madden screen drawing device now
Bugscope Team haha
Bugscope Team well to describe it, the left mandible is much larger, and the right one is small, kind of like with the fiddler crab claws
- Bugscope Team this is cool
- Bugscope Team good driving!
- Bugscope Team this is like an alien planet
- Teacher they are telling us about the bedbug thing now.
- Teacher i'm never traveling again
- Bugscope Team you could go into business selling natural bedbug traps like that
- Bugscope Team haha Falstaff
- Teacher what's that?
- Bugscope Team Shakespearean aphid.
- Bugscope Team it'
- Bugscope Team lol
- Teacher classy
- Bugscope Team s a portly winged aphid
- Bugscope Team had a good life
- Teacher he didn't suck it in for the picture
- Bugscope Team the ocelli are widely spaced on the top of the head
- Bugscope Team now you can see the ocelli
- Teacher the dark thing in the center?
Bugscope Team um we can see one now adjacent to the compound eye
- Bugscope Team it's a small dome like a spider eye
- Teacher probably just a place for the bedbugs to hide
Bugscope Team they're related, sort of
- Bugscope Team I think this is an egg.
- Bugscope Team where is the real Kelly? I want to know if the wax comes from the plants, like from the leaves.
- Bugscope Team this is sad
- Bugscope Team it's a mite with antennae, maybe, or rabbit ears, but its cuticle is obscured
- Teacher im here now
Bugscope Team yay!
- Bugscope Team I'm not really sure what it is
- Teacher six legged mite?
Bugscope Team like a tick, before it gets 8 legs
Bugscope Team jui
Bugscope Team juvenile
- Bugscope Team I love that aphids get wings if the preceding generation was stressed by overpopulation
- Bugscope Team it's Lamarckian.
- Bugscope Team time to get out of there!
Bugscope Team haha yeah
- Teacher We're talking about pregnant aphids right now.
- Bugscope Team Kelly can we do this again? I want to try something different with the prep.
- Teacher :)
- Teacher You mean tonight?
Bugscope Team Danielopteryx.
- Teacher This is Daniel, if you can't tell. Kelly is talking about poop now.
Bugscope Team normally that would be your domain
- Teacher Hmm. I can't reply in Chrome. I was going to make a smart-alec comment, but can't.
Bugscope Team chrome plated frass
Bugscope Team since Alex L is not our main sysadmin anymore, we are working with more classical type of IT professional
Bugscope Team very cautious, untrusting, like they're not sure you know what you're talking about but sure it will cause some kind of security problem for the system
- Teacher Talking now...
- Bugscope Team thrips wings
- Bugscope Team no problem. nice to see some plants instead of just insects.
- Bugscope Team whoa
Bugscope Team looks like Dick Cheney, smiling
- Bugscope Team hahaha
- Teacher Dick Cheney?? hahahaha
- Bugscope Team what is this?
Bugscope Team they are very short wing covers, I think
Bugscope Team little flaps positioned over the wing joint
- Bugscope Team oh yea
- Bugscope Team ah is that broken off then?
Bugscope Team and we're seeing the inside?
Bugscope Team no there is a matching one on the other wing
Bugscope Team see? it is foreshortened
- Bugscope Team i wonder why the edge is like that
- Bugscope Team muy interesante
- Teacher Kelly says maybe in she'll want to do this again in the fall with Bradley University.
Bugscope Team that sounds great!
- Teacher We're logging out now. Thanks, dude!
Bugscope Team Thank you!
- Bugscope Team later!
- Bugscope Team I'm going to wipe everyone out pretty quickly so we don't orphan any admin names
- Bugscope Team Bye!