Connected on 2012-11-26 15:00:00 from Lane, Oregon, United States
- Bugscope Team sample is pumping down
- Bugscope Team Hello Rana
- Bugscope Team we are setting up for today's session
- Guest ai
Bugscope Team where are you?
- Guest Jaipur in India
- Bugscope Team what time is it there? it's about 2:25 in the afternoon here
- Guest it is 2 am ,night time
- Guest I was lucky enough to get into the live session
- Bugscope Team wow
- Bugscope Team the session starts at 3 our time, in 25 minutes or so; you are of course welcome to stay with us
- Guest Thanks Scot for the offer . am not sure if I will be staying awake till that time.
- Bugscope Team check this out, Rana! it's an earwig, covered with mites
- Guest Absolutely stunning.
- Bugscope Team Cate is doing the driving, and I am recording the presets.
- Guest Where is it being done , by the way.
- Bugscope Team we are at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, USA, at the Beckman Institute.
- Guest I have been to the University's site a number of time and always found something excellent to add to my knowledge base.
- Bugscope Team hello Ms Degady and Josie
- Guest This is amazing! I will recommend your program to teachers in our community.
- Guest The slides are soundless. Right!
Bugscope Team Ms D we are set up so that kids (students) can ask us any question they want. We do not create sound to go along with the presets. You can see that we are making the presets for today's session in real time, right now.
- Guest Makes sense Scot. Thanks
- Bugscope Team note that with Bugscope we are doing live imaging (of dead and dry samples) using a high-resolution scanning electron microscope. we don't reuse specimens because we do not want one school to collect the same images as another school
- Bugscope Team a leafhopper! this is cool
- Guest I am reminded of my college Bio lab experience while studying entomology during my graduation in agriculture, way back in 1960.
Bugscope Team totally cool
- Guest Scot, so teachers can send their students' samples in the mail, accross states?
Bugscope Team yes they can!
- Bugscope Team the difficult part is that we can do only an average of two sessions per week
- Bugscope Team it takes a little while to prep the sample, and then to do the presets, like we are doing now, and then to host the actual session
- Bugscope Team and we share the microscope with researchers who generally have 24-hour access to it
- Bugscope Team we do our scheduling ahead of the researchers
- Guest Is there any record of these pictures where it could be retrieved lateron at a convenient time ?
- Bugscope Team yes they are archived on the web. you can look them up now. if you go to the home page and click on the archive, this session is #2012-072
- Guest That's great. I am associated with a scool and it would be a thrilling experience for the senior students to watch these.
- Guest Actually the school timings do not match as there is a time difference of 12 hours
Bugscope Team it means we have to get up early or work a bit late. we can do it with advance warning
- Bugscope Team Rana if you would like, you can drive now. It looks like our school is at a minimum late. They may have forgotten us. I called and left a message.
- Bugscope Team or Josie, would you like to drive?
- Guest Thanks Scot.It was nice to be with you and share these scannings.I will be joining you soon in a day or two.
Bugscope Team cool! we have a session in two days, I think
Bugscope Team oh and it is a bit earlier
- Guest Scot, do you do this for insect samples only?
Bugscope Team we do mostly insects, hence the name bugscope, but we have also looked at pollen grains, mold spores, and other things that can be found on insects. Some school have sent in non bug items like fossils, a screw, and some pieces of shoelaces even as part of a unit on CSI
- Bugscope Team generally anything that is dry can be used, preferably something interesting at higher magnifications
Bugscope Team or things that can be dried
- Bugscope Team that was Cate, speaking for me..
- Bugscope Team Josie you have control of the microscope.
- Bugscope Team if you want to drive
- Bugscope Team it looks like our teacher forgot about us, so we have lots of time
- Bugscope Team but we will log out if no one wants to drive the 'scope
- Guest Thanks so much, Scot - Definitely, I will be recommending this wonderful program to our instructors here at Ohlone College and our high school teachers in our community. This is a good way to provoke excitement and enthusiasm for science..
Bugscope Team that sounds great! just please let them know that it can take a while to get on because we are booked far ahead
- Guest Great! Have a nice day.
Bugscope Team you too, Thank You
- Bugscope Team JDSK145 are you still there?
- Bugscope Team alright we are shutting down...
- Bugscope Team Thank You, everyone.